Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:49 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: custom roadster
Looks like we're going for it...

I just ordered a Romac 0224SA harmonic damper. It's probably overkill, but I want to do this once in a while (only from 02:50 to 06:50; after that, there are some accidents):
https://youtu.be/My8tEmdQvuk?si=gpsecrWk0A2LfaXg&t=171

Scott will make an aluminum adapter to go between the damper and the fan spacer. If the Romac's belt groove sits further out than that of the stock damper, I'll have to monkey with the water pump pulley and the alternator until everything lines up.

I've read that Aussies got no cast-crank slants, so the Romac (which is Australian) should fit my 198 crank (which is forged). I've also read that the 0224SA in particular fits cast cranks only. I've also read that just about any damper under the Sun will fit any slant. (OK, that's a slight exaggeration.) Fingers crossed this thing will fit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:53 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
The Romac should fit fine , but it does fit very tight on the crank.It may need a little massaging on the ID.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:52 am 
TBI Slant 6

Quote:
The Romac should fit fine , but it does fit very tight on the crank.It may need a little massaging on the ID.
Phew! Thanks. I'll give Scott a heads-up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:51 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Update: Scott made the crankshaft-mount fan adapter, so we mocked up the radiator and fan positioning.

Pulling the radiator as far forward as we can get it, using a stock harmonic damper*, the crank-mount adapter, a 3" fan spacer, and an aftermarket fan, here's what we see:
This works, but setting the rad further back would give us a nicer hoodline.

Here's what we see if we swap in a 1" fan spacer, push the radiator two inches back, and lower the rad another inch or so. (It's still above the scrub line.)
Now we have more than enough "headspace" to set whatever hoodline we want.

You'll notice we started playing with the upper rad hose in that second photo. I ordered a Dorman 902-3011 water neck the next day. Maybe that, plus a 90-degree-bend hose, will do it. (Pat says it can't possibly be that easy, but he's been fighting his flathead V8 generator mount, cooling fan, radiator inlets/outlets/ports, hoses, and hoodline for a month, so I think he's kinda traumatized.)

* Assuming the adapter-facing surface of the Romac sits very close to that of the stock damper - and that feels like a pretty safe assumption** - the radiator can go here without any more head-scratching. In the unlikely event the Romac doesn't cooperate there, we can, in order of increasing inconvenience: swap in a half-inch fan spacer (easy), shave down the adapter (slight cringe), or make a completely new, thinner adapter (ouch).

** Famous last words?

Last edited by justa170 on Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:29 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Looks great! 1" spacer looks like the ticket. I believe the Romac damper should have the stock mounting face spacing.

Lou