Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:28 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
How old is your fuel? With all the rain we've had recently, is it possible you have some bad fuel? Unless you've replaced it, the fuel cap is not vented and can lead to condensation build up. You may have also pumped in some water from the local gas n' go. You did say that you saw the distributor shaft turn didn't you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:06 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hrm...Bad fuel...there's something that I hadn't really considered. It just didn't register since I had been driving it everyday before it stopped, but I didn't take into account the rain. Well, off to the gas station I go.

and yeah, the distributer turns, in fact, everything appears to be precisely as it should be, the gas is just simply not igniting in the combustion chamber. It's the most damnably frustrating thing I've ever dealt with as far as cars are concerned. When this all began, I had visions of coming back to the forum after a couple hours and saying something like "hay guys I forgot to put the plug wires back on, hur hur hur!", but, unfortunately, that is not the case. At any rate, I shall persevere and I will keep you all updated.

again, I can't thank you enough for the help.

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:41 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: Many & varied, including stock & hopped up /6's
...I've pulled my hair out over a bad (new) condenser, 'course it would start up and run terribly, and you said the problem was with the pertronix installed, too.....

Hmmmm. You got a compression guage? Are plugs by any chance wet with gas when you pull them after cranking?

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:32 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
You may try connecting a hose to the inlet side of your fuel pump and put the other end into the gas can. If you did have suspended water in the tank, it would settle to the bottom where your pick up is after it set for awhile. Sometimes is easy to overlook things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:54 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Okay, I drained what gas was left in the tank out, and put a couple gallons of fresh gas in. Replaced the cap again, and checked everything out one more time. (I even robbed an MSD Blaster 2 coil off of another project) Now when I turn it over, I get gas puking out of the top of the carb, kind of like what happens when your plug wires are 180 out , but I'm not 180 out...so any suggestions?

thanks,
josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:44 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
when I turn it over, I get gas puking out of the top of the carb, kind of like what happens when your plug wires are 180 out , but I'm not 180 out...so any suggestions?
Sounding more and more like a cam timing issue. What's the history of the timing chain and sprockets in this engine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:18 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Sounding more and more like a cam timing issue. What's the history of the timing chain and sprockets in this engine?
Ha! my first guess! could it be possible that timing chain has jumped 180 out?

why you don't try to reverse all spark plugs cables (6 to 1, 2 to 5, 3 to 4) and see if it starts... :wink:

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:37 pm 

Car Model:
Well, 180° out isn't too likely, but it wouldn't take nearly that much jump to prevent the engine starting. The reason I ask about the history of the engine is that the factory service replacement parts for the cam timing sprocket changed from all-iron to nylon-covered aluminum in the late '60s or perhaps early '70s, so if the set was replaced after that time, it's entirely possible the nylon teeth could now be worn down enough to allow the chain to slip.

Post subject: Fixed!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:05 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Yeah, it jumped 180 out. I can't believe it. When I took the timing cover off, I looked at the gears and just shook my head. So, from now on, I won't believe that just because the piston is at tdc, and the rotor is pointed at the right plug, that the timing chain is actually in order. So, I replaced the timing chain, and now it starts. I've got a couple hours of tuning to do to get it perfect, but hey, the car starts!

Thank you all for your help. I couldn't have done this without you.

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:35 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
if chain was stretched, it's not like it jumped 180° out at once. Prolly it jumped enough to prevent the car from starting and in all the trial of getting started it was jumping out and out more till it got 180° out.

Glad to hear that you could start the car!

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:49 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
if chain was stretched, it's not like it jumped 180° out at once. Prolly it jumped enough to prevent the car from starting and in all the trial of getting started it was jumping out and out more till it got 180° out
This makes perfect sense. I bet that's exactly what happened.