Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: x2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:21 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
They're 35" long but 1" Diameter. Is this too thick for the weight of a 225 Slant Six engine?
Zorg has 1" T-bars in his late Dart, I've driven it...the ride is good, not harsh...suspension felt very responsive...

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:00 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
SS Dan mentioned the "one finger" steering of the stock early A body power steering. That was the first thing I noticed when I first drove my 64ragtop. "Where's the road - - I can't feel the Road" I replaced the stock riverboat size steering wheel with a Grant 16" wheel and got just enough feedback to make me happy. Of course, "your mileage may vary" but my way was faster and cheaper than a new firm feel p/s box. But then I already had the "underhood clutter".

My newly acquired '64 "Accidental Dart" is manual steering, ratio unknown. The large stock wheel is staying in that car.

ATB

BC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:43 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 75valiant custom
just got to read this thread. my two cents:

the best upgrade you can make is to bring it back to factory specs with genuine moog parts and monroe shocks. unless you have your own front end machine, take it to a shop that will do the alignment. if you have problems, such as the gear box, they will tell you and you can then decide if you want the new box. i would also buy four top quality radial tires.

i had a 70 dart with power steering and it indeed had absolutely NO "road feel." i now have a 75 valiant that i'm about to get on the road, but i had to get some body work done first so the fuel tank wouldn't fall off. it also has the power steering, and i expect it to drive just like the 70 did. "one finger steering."

i'm guessing you're not in the front end business, because of the nature of the thread. if you are, my apologies if this sounds flippant, because it's not meant to be. whatever you do, you are going to need to have everything solid, so why not start there? moog parts are generally guaranteed for life, and these cars are well-designed autos.