Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 713 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:41 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
so was driving the beast around today it is gulping insane amounts of gas lol.
I was leaning out the idle screws to get idle leaner but then it would even run and would be so lean with any pedal it would die. So im back to where it was about 10.5 at idle and their seems to be a lean zone before the secondaries open when my foot is ever so slighty pushing down but if i mash the gas more to 1/4 throttle or more it runs decent 12's to 14's crusing. From what i can tell around 1800 -2000rpm vac gauge is saying 10ish lbs of vac thats where the lean climbs in the 17's and stays there if i dont move my foot then if i ease more into the gas it richens up to 12's 14's again. Help? I dont really know where the start when i try to lean the idle out it runs horrible or wont even run "using the idle screws" I have not yet tryed the Idle Ez screw on the demon carb as far as i can tell it helps rich idle conditions???
Back to the lean problem i dont think it would be pumpshot related anymore since if i dont move my foot from that position it will stay in the 17's or higher lean and pumpshot only shoots with throttle linkage movement right?

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:19 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Update been driving around my clutch is making a horrible grinding noise when slipping from a stand still. I didnt change anything same clutch that was just in the car when i was driving last month. Didn't touch the carb today was at school all day and helping a friend with his vw bug.

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:22 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Whats your timing at? Mine is locked at 27* and the Demon was easiest to tune at this timing level. My idle-ez is closed. Try disconnecting your secondaries until you get it all figured out. I ran a best of 11.48 with mine unhooked so no need to worry about loosing power. Later

http://www.youtube.com/c/turbo66valiant
Follow on Instagram - turbo66valiant
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ryan.peterson.737

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:44 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I haven't even got a timing ligh ton it yet i'll check it out after work tommorow and i'll unhook those secondaries sounds like a plan, i gotta pull the carb off and check some stuff out to see why my car wont idle below 1500rpm wierd thing is under hard braking the idle goes to normal then slowly goes back to 1500rpm does that sound like a float bowl level? since the fuel would slosh forward under hard braking?

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:59 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I haven't unhooked the secondaries yet i will tommorow, but i'm having idle issues which i put my finger over the pcv hose my idle drops almost to where it should be even with that plugged i can turn the idle screws all the way out and the car wont idle below 1000rpm and when i richen the mixture screws the idle goes down further but it way to rich already anyone know whats going on?
why would the pcv hose make the idle go up it never did that with my old 4bbl and when i pull the vac adcance off and plug it, it only drops the idle slightly. Do i need to pull the carb and mess with the butterflys or something?

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:15 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I'm guessing you already know your rear blades can be adjusted also. Might want to turn in your Idle ease. I'm guessing a big vacuum leak somewhere. I don't run a pcv valve on mine. Your timing may be way off also. Was this a new carb? I had metal shavings and a jet screwed up in the one on the Slant now. I've purchased 5 new Mighty Demons now and all have had shavings in them. One had a bent butterfly. Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:45 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Quote:
I've purchased 5 new Mighty Demons now and all have had shavings in them. One had a bent butterfly. Good luck
And you bought more after the first two?

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:09 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Carb is new, i haven't even touched the timing yet maybe ill try that i think my idle ez is turned in ill double check the thing shoudl die if i have the pcv vac line wide open but all it does is just idle high so that makes no sense to me. when i take the carb off can i just close the secondary throttle blade all the way it wouldnt need those to idle right? i'm thinkin maybe there cracked open a bit at idle.

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:15 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
I've purchased 5 new Mighty Demons now and all have had shavings in them. One had a bent butterfly. Good luck
And you bought more after the first two?
Yah, I just took it for granted that I needed to clean the carb once I received it. All have worked really well so I stuck with them. Got a few used carbs over the years and found out the long and hard way they were screwed up by reckless drill bits. Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:52 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Holy $#!+ this thing runs awesome, few problems still.
First with the good primary are now 80's made a huge difference only gear im getting lean in is 4th gear with very slight throttle, fixed anykind of throttle binding issues took carb apart clean out everything found a hanging chad of metal in the pv area put back on got idle from 1400rpm down to 900rpm but still cant' get it any lower I did advance the timing 2days ago it run loads better so maybe i still have a bit to much timing in it i did it by feel ill get a timing light on it just gotta find time to get to the shop.

I called Barry Grant and after being told my carb is to big like 9 times by that d bag who wouldn't let me explain what i've done and what didnt work he said high idle has to be a vacuum leak, so i tighted all intake/header bolts tightened adaptor plated changed gasket under carb tightened. then put my hand over carb while running and died instantly so i'm thinking their cant be any major vac leaks right? I know i did the same smothering technique with my old motor and carb and i could barely kill the dam thing from running. I was not a happy camper after that phone call he was basically talking down to me like i was a monkey.

Ideas about high idle? when i hold the carb up to a light there seems to be more gap than i would have thought around each butterfly on the carb but maybe thats normal i dont know. Oh and idle is still rich as a pig i dont wanna lean it out cuz it's more annoying because the idle rises.

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:55 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

'72 Duster 198 stock cam, 3:23's Hookers on jack stands for 8 years in the driveway
'79 Maxivan 360 Offy Qjet Comp RV cam/rusting in the driveway.
93 D350 160HP Cummins Auto :-( Dually Clubcab needs a injector pump
2005 Golden Couch Buick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:15 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Not much for updates been in and out of the hospital because my grandpa fell ill on his birthday last week and got sent to the icu for lung disease with a case namonia (probably spelt that wrong) sooo long story short he didnt' wish to be on a ventalator anymore so they are letting nature take it's course. So the only news on the car is now my clutch is slipping when i jump on it in second gear i'm assuming my oil leak on the back of the pan is the culprit, still haven't managed to idle the car below 1000rpm. The motor makes alot of power thats for sure even with only 5psi of boost.

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:34 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Quote:
"The motor makes alot of power thats for sure even with only 5psi of boost."
I like this statement. I will be running 6 psi on my '68 Dart - almost assembled and running. See '68 Dart 270 post for update in Slixer's Gallery...

Lou

Last edited by Dart270 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Details
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:12 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
You both are writing detailed stories as you build these turbo engines aren't you? I thought so! We need to see some of these written up in future issues of the SSRN

Rick
:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:26 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
haha ya only 5psi, I'm shooting for the moon with this one 20psi seems to be the goal.

My mom was telling me about the young guns articles in mopar mag i'd love to get in that or in any kind of mag with the new motor now the car is starting to fit my dreams! Just need a t56 now or maybe a t5 :)

Oh and update i think i installed a bad pv from my other carb cuz now the idle is low and the car runs horrible i'm thinking the pv is stuck open loading everything up with fuel.

Kev

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 713 Next