Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:57 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
PM Sent

Quote:
If someone wants to host the pics my friend from Florida stopped 2 weeks ago with his '06 Cummins OTR Hot Shot rig.

He has equipped it with a hydrogen generator. Bought one off the shelf from a company in Florida.

It draws 10-15amps. Had to start the system on Perrier mineral water and now runs it on distilled.

It adds a little hydrogen to the intake air. Makes it idle smoother, runs quiter, and gets 2mpg over what it used to.

It has a low water light, manual adjustment for the current

Says once he is up to speed he rests his foot on the accelerator doesn't really push it.

When he was here he was at 22-24,000lbs total weight and normally gets 11.5mpg and was knocking down 14.

Bad thing is he has to refill it every 150 miles or so. A windshield washer reservior with a pump would work. The chamber or tank holds 2 liters of water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:31 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I am thinking the hydrgogen is helping get a better burn out of the diesel. I would like to see what it did on the tail pipe sniffer. He wants to gut his cat.

Should reduce the amount of $Delo$ oil changes. It blew black smoke when he first started it. And for at least 100 miles not as bad. It was cleaning the combustion chambers etc.

Says it idles better when he is parked and sleeping.

I know mine rattles and shakes at idle. And I think mine is idled too high :shock: No tach yet!

'72 Duster 198 stock cam, 3:23's Hookers on jack stands for 8 years in the driveway
'79 Maxivan 360 Offy Qjet Comp RV cam/rusting in the driveway.
93 D350 160HP Cummins Auto :-( Dually Clubcab needs a injector pump
2005 Golden Couch Buick

Post subject: Aug 1st update
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
MPG on the last tank, 19.60 per odometer, 20.18 corrected for tire size.
This was combination of city and highway. AM highway was cruising at 55 MPH for the most part. PM highway is more slow and go, 25-35 mph average.

Changes....
Transmission fluid (drained out 5 ounces, took 85 to fill it back up :shock: )
Differential fluid (ok fill level but dirty)

Both were done mid tank, so their benefits were partial. I was hoping to get new exhaust run this weekend, but it might not work with finances. :evil:

Next up will probably be the HEI ignition modification. I am also going to duct air up to air filter housing, to see if that helps.

I am not quite ready to dive into the timing modifications just yet. I have to work my way up to that (new, scary :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:04 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Congrats on the great mpg numbers. Nice improvement from 13's!!

Will work for roast chicken crisps!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:38 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Rug,
Who knew. I'd thought the hydrogen thing was bunk, but I can see how it might work as a fumigator on a diesel. Propane works, why not H and O2. I assume your buddy is going to keep detailed numbers on this thing. If I get some time, I'll calculate the electrical draw and convert it to horsepower.
Kip-on-Truckin'

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
1966 CruiseAire motor home
1990 Toyota 1 ton box truck TURBO slant (scraped)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:31 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Typical Friday AM fillup. Same station, same pump.

MPG down to 17.28 :x

This 2 week trip had more stop and go on highway, and then other days of highway at 60 MPH when I usually try to limit to 55 mph. This was first full tank with full fluid in tranmission and differential. I expected to see it better.

It is due for an oil change, and I might check out the plugs to see how they look.

Next major modification will be exhaust. It currently has a decent size pipe coming off the collector, that Y's off where the catalytic converter would be, and through dual 12" glasspacks, and out the back. It is probably 2-2.25 piping, and it is very pinched over axle, where it looks like the axle tube might have hit it at some point. The passenger side leaf spring is very weak ( I am running the coil over springs on the shocks) and the upper mount was tearing through the metal when I got it, so it validates the idea that it was overloaded at some point. It bangs and clangs, coathangered by PO, overall bad deal. It probably flows OK, but I am tired of the clanging.

I am having a local shop that mandrel bends do a system with a Magnaflow, out the back, driver side, SINGLE. I am torn between 2.5 or 3". I realize it is a bit overkill on a 1 bbl slant 6, but they can only bend 2.5 or 3".
--If I go 2.5 I can get the muffler and tip at n/c (vendor rep :) )
--If I want 3" I have to buy the muffler and tip, or I can have it turned down and semi hidden behind bumper. The system will be 2-2.5 off the the manifold to a flange and stepped up to the 2.5 or 3 around the transmision, so I can pull it off while fabricating turbo stuff, and re-install to drive.

I realize it is not the ideal change for order, since the existing exhaust is adequate flow wise, but this will be the last large expense I will be able to run on the Dart, since the twins are due in 5-6 weeks. I have a feeling all large purchases will be on hold. Little stuff might work, but the diapers and formula are going to kill me. I better get the exhaust run while I can.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:43 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Rug,
Who knew. I'd thought the hydrogen thing was bunk, but I can see how it might work as a fumigator on a diesel. Propane works, why not H and O2. I assume your buddy is going to keep detailed numbers on this thing. If I get some time, I'll calculate the electrical draw and convert it to horsepower.
Kip-on-Truckin'
Answer is that it's pretty bad. To make the equivalent of one gallon of gasoline in one hour needs a minimum of 37 kilowatts, and you'd be powering it with a cable about as thick as my wrist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:05 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Back to the tire thing.

The Tire Rack has the following tire chatter, more chatter than humans should be allowed to read:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... p?techid=1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:49 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
UPDATE
Hit the gas station this AM.
Same station as past 4 fillups. Same procedure, fill on low speed, until it shuts off, and then one more slow until it quits.

206 miles on 10.5 gallons...19.61 plus the conversion for the tire diameter of 3% = 20.19 which is best so far.

I had a test running by accident. A while back I took off the air cleaner, to mess with the accelerator pump linkage, and clear out vacuum lines. I forgot to put the air cleaner back on. I knew it was there, but it got lost in the shuffle with the twins coming, and I just plain forgot.
If I reference this tank as #4.
Tank #4 was 20.19 mpg
Tank #3 was 18.16 mpg
Tank #2 was 17.28 mpg
Tank #1 was 20.18 mpg

So, the 2 tanks between previous best of 20.18 and now best of 20.19 were down, 11% to 15%, and these were the tanks when the stock air cleaner with parts store paper filter was off.

So, my Sheer-Luck deduction tells me that the air cleaner provides better mileage, then an open carb.
Feel free to call me a rocket scientist :lol:
I presume it is for 2 reasons, the velocity inside the tube, and the contour of the base of the air cleaner, streamlining air entering the carb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
The air cleaner may also be making the mixture enough richer that it's eliminating lean misfires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:11 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Its possible, I still here misfires in the exhaust, but I have not been able to tune as much as I want. It is probably richer then it needs to be now, to overcome the lack of accelerator pump charge, until I can make or find a rod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:29 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Send me your email and I will send you a shot of the ram air setup I installed. Very simple and works very well to eek out a little more mileage.
Also got a shot or two of the heat deflector which helps to keep from boiling the gas during heat soak.

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:17 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
edit

Last edited by Kevin Johnson on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: my 2 cents
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:50 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
glad to see another slanter with a 76 feather/ lite. mine is 4spd od sl6 stock with discs and a 7.25 rear with 2.94 gears. every one of these models i have seen with a manual 3 spd(which actually is quite rare) or the common 4spd od had 2.94 rear gears. i understand the automatic had 2.76 gears. yours probably has the 2.94. one ofthe benefits of this specialmodel is that the .73 od gear and the 2.94 rear gave an unusually high final drive of 2.15 which is strictly for the flats over 30mph. that is a major factor in mpg on the hwy. mine regularly got 31-32 on the highway and low 20s around town where the 2.94 axle is actually an mpg decreaser since you have to downshift more frequently. the first 3 gears have the same ratio in both manual transmissions(3.09 first). the od feather was rated at 36 mpg highway. never knew anyone who got that mileage though. the only down side of these lightweight tankers is sluggish takeoff in first(feels a little like taking off in a regular stickshift car in 2d.) havent noticed any decrease in clutch life though which is surprising. the lighter weight probably makes the difference. most stickshift cars need a minimum torque multiplication of 10 when you start off in first. the stickshift feathers/lites with sl6 are barely at the edge of the powerband with a 9.08. if you ever tried to start your lite up a steep hill in 1st you will notice what i am talking about. i remember the doctor discussing this in much more detail in an ancient issue of the slantsix club news mag. 1st gear sluggishness is the price you have to pay. paladin