Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Carter BBD Question
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:55 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 71 Dodge D100 64 Plymouth Valiant Wagon
This is kind of a dumb one :oops:

When I opened up my Carter BBD (on my 225 super six) this afternoon to adjust the floats, I noticed that the return spring, the one underneath the accelerator pump plunger, was missing. Apparently it has been for a while.

How would this affect performance?

I bought a Walker rebuild kit from O'Reilly's, and it doesn't have replacement springs. Any suggestion on how to get one?

Thanks,

Joe

71 D100 225 Super Six 727 AT on 2008 Crown Vic CopCar frame

64 Valiant Wagon 225 904 AT 3:23 8.75"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:16 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Erm...there isn't supposed to be any return spring under the accelerator pump plunger. There's only supposed to be a spring *atop* the accelerator pump plunger. Is that the one you mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:54 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Yeah, I didn't think there was supposed to be one either, but the pic shows one and calls it a return spring. I tried a spring I bought from the hardware store on another old carb I had to see what it would feel like, and it doesn't make sense at all.

So I agree, and won't be using it. The levers up top provide all the return it needs anyways.

Thanks,

Joe :oops: :oops: :oops:

Post subject: Return Spring
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:01 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Something like this?
Yep, there is one..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:23 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Image that piece is upside down, so the spring on the acc. pump is technically above it, the only spring there that is below anything is the one for the step-up piston...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:33 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: Many & varied, including stock & hopped up /6's
...while we're on this, has anyone ever encountered a mystery third check ball in either a BBS or BBD? I just got an NOS BBS which I'm trying to tweak for Kermit (my Valiant), and in addition to the check ball in the bottom of the accel pump bore and the one on the pump discharge spot, a third ball fell out of the center section when I inverted. It seemed like it came from out of the step-up piston bore, I can't find another place where it would logically fit, but I have no idea what it's function would be in there. I've already consulted a BBS expert on this, and he was puzzled, too. If anyone has ever seen one of these with a third check ball, and knows for certain where it goes, please report in. None of my exploded views show it.

Thanks,
D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:50 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Maybe someone just threw a kit in it and didn't know where to put the two extra balls? They come in the kit... my carb had a ball in the acc pump passage before I rebuilt it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:50 am 
EFI Slant 6

Return spring for the step-up piston is there and functioning. Maybe I'm just misreading the diagram, but I swear they're putting a spring in there.

Carb is back together and I'll be driving today, so we'll see how it behaves.

I haven't seen more than two check balls in a BBD.

Thanks for your help,

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:56 am 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe someone just threw a kit in it and didn't know where to put the two extra balls? They come in the kit... my carb had a ball in the acc pump passage before I rebuilt it...
You missed the "NOS" part. This was a pristine, virginal, factory sealed, never-been-touched-by-human-hands carb. :lol:

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:00 am 

Car Model:
D.W., don't be entirely sure about that. The seller's description notwithstanding, I have handled many rebuild, "remanufactured" and otherwise touched carburetors over the years that still had their triangular anodized-aluminum carb number tags on them. The presence of the tag doesn't necessarily mean it was NOS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:07 am 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
D.W., don't be entirely sure about that. The seller's description notwithstanding, I have handled many rebuild, "remanufactured" and otherwise touched carburetors over the years that still had their triangular anodized-aluminum carb number tags on them. The presence of the tag doesn't necessarily mean it was NOS.
Dan, I was exagerrating for effect, but believe me, I've been intimate with this carb, and it's NEVER been apart or bolted down. I'm pretty damn good with forensics. Still has all of the Carter ink stamped ID marks on each casting, the throttle body has never had nuts tightened on it, all the plating is correct and day one, I'd bet the farm on this one, so yes, I am sure.

D/W

...P. S. - You should know enough about me by now to realize that I am not stupid enough to go on something just because "the seller says it" :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:15 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
I've been intimate with this carb
Hey, now...let's keep it appropriate. This is a family board. Image
Quote:
it's NEVER been apart or bolted down.
OK! Just checkin'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:36 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
...while we're on this, has anyone ever encountered a mystery third check ball in either a BBS or BBD? I just got an NOS BBS which I'm trying to tweak for Kermit (my Valiant), and in addition to the check ball in the bottom of the accel pump bore and the one on the pump discharge spot, a third ball fell out of the center section when I inverted. It seemed like it came from out of the step-up piston bore, I can't find another place where it would logically fit, but I have no idea what it's function would be in there. I've already consulted a BBS expert on this, and he was puzzled, too. If anyone has ever seen one of these with a third check ball, and knows for certain where it goes, please report in. None of my exploded views show it.

Thanks,
D/W
Hmmm.... another unsolved mystery. It may have fell in by accident, or was it in the step up piston bore to shim up the spring? Speculation on my part because I have never had my hands on a BBS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:52 pm 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
Hmmm.... another unsolved mystery. It may have fell in by accident, or was it in the step up piston bore to shim up the spring? Speculation on my part because I have never had my hands on a BBS.
Definitely doesn't shim the spring, falls right thru it. I had the jet loose, but I can't imagine it being under the jet, if that's even possible. So, there are no other places to even put it, are there? I thought perhaps it might protect the little piston seal from a backfire or something, but I don't know how... The "accidental ball theory" has entered my mind. ...an assembler thought he/she mislaid or lost it, but dropped it in the step up piston bore accidentally, didn't see it, and just dropped another in the accel pump bore. If nobody raises a hand soon and sez "I know!", I'm takin' it out.

D/W