Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:44 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
i have a 1964 dodge dart gt with a 225 slant six double barrel carb.. i got my whole exhaust system done with 2 1/4 quarter piping with a flowmaster exhaust.. it doesnt soon to loud, but i definitly feel the airflow going fast ans smoot.. I dont know a lot of about upgrading engine but whats the first i can upgrade ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:10 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Still have a points ignition?

Swapping to Electronic ignition (or getting a conversion like pertronix) will provide you a more reliable, basically maintenance free (excepting occasional cap & rotor replacements) ignition.

You already have the upgraded exhaust and supersix (2bbl) intake....go have fun with your slant! :)

I am sure others will have more input. ;)

-S/6

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:15 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
petronix sets everything perfectly up doesnt it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:55 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I know you posted in the Engine forum but if you haven't done them already the first upgrade should be brakes! Don't diddle around with big front drums, go right to discs with a wheel and tire upgrade to go with it.

You've got to go slow before you go fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:46 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
This is not an "upgrade" but check out your wiring harness, and see if your are losing voltage from your battery to your ignition coil. If you drop more than 1/2 volt, then the old wiring has resistance in it that is keeping you from getting the best out of what you have. Just put a VOM on the battery while it is idling, and then put the VOM on the high side of your ballast resister. The difference is due to old wire, and old connectors. This made the biggest difference in my slant when it was stock, with the exception of the two barrel and Dutra duals. You could also go with an electric fan. This will free up some horse power at the upper end. You will not see or feel much difference down low, but once the stock fans gets to moving fast, it creates quite a drag on the engine.

Sorry to mention brakes in the engine section, but on the subject of brakes, certainly go to disks. They are way superior to the drum brakes. But, you will improve your brakes even further by replacing the lower control arm strut bushing with urethane bushings. This is a bit of a job, but it stabilizes the lower control arm so the brakes can actually stop the car better. If the LCA has play in it allowed by the rubber bushings, the resistance the brakes offer is not transfered to stopping the car until the rubber takes up its compression.