Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: boggled
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:54 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I have a 1966 dart 270 with 225. I have replaced stock (i know i know, i am regretting it now) intake with dual weber setup. It has been working wonderfully since install, but lately (within last week or so) I have had a hard time getting the idle to do anything consistently other than fluctuate and drop-off ultimately killing the car.

I have adjusted idle per manufacture specs, and still no luck. I have done this in the past, and the car runs like a dream. THis time it is different. The car sat for a while (about 2 months) and was only driven 1-2 miles every 2-3 days during that time.

All vacuum hose are good, and ignition is good. I know the problem IS the stemming from the intake, but I cant put my finger on it.

Any help is good help.

Thanks

caesar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:51 am 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
You may have some crap in one of the idle circuits so get a can of carb cleaner.
One at a time, turn in each idle mixture screw until it lightly seats, count the number of turns and make a note of the number. Now remove the screw completly and spray carb cleaner thru the hole. reinstall the idle screw to the proper position (your "turn count")
Do all 4 idle screws and take note if all screws are positioned with about the same number of turns. Start engine (It will be flooded with carb cleaner) and recheck the idle mixture adjustment.
DD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:36 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I didnt remove the idle circuits, but I did drop an entire can of carb cleaner, cleaning every square inch of the carbs. Then I reset mixture screws at 2 turns and the idle speed screws at 1.5 turns. INstalled them with no air cleaners and got car running. Then fine tuned the "lean best mixture" by just adjusting the mixture screws. Then once I got the engine running the smoothest (almost 4 turns out for my car) I slowly adjusted the idle speed screws to get my desired idle while in gear (700-800 rpms). I still have some fiddling to do with the screws. I did all that adjustment when the engine was hot (at operating temp). So later that night when I fire up the engine and it was cold, it turned on and idled at 1000 RPM just fine. However, after about 4 minutes it stuttred a bit (still in park and with no load, i was not even in the car). It sputtered (maybe sounding like one miss, then find, then one miss) again a few more times so I turned it off. I turned the car back on and drove home. While driving home the car was hesitating a bit, then at one point so bad it felt as if I ran out of gas, almost died, then i hit gas pedal a little and it came back to life. Hesitated once or twice more, then ran completely trouble free for the rest of the ride home (4 miles total on city streets).

Sorry for lengthy post. BUt i am trying to include all details to paint a complete picture.

Thank you for your time.

Caesar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:41 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I have the dual Weber setup on my 71 d100 and have had the same problem and have done as Doc recomends to cure the problem,but have to do it about every 2 months,these carbs are extremely sensitive to dirt.
I also wish that I had went with a HOLLEY 390 and Offy intake for nothing more than to be able to find parts and be able to tune it better.
HyperValiant

1974 Valiant (v8) daughter Kelly's work in progress