Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:20 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Well I'm finally sick of the Holley 5200. Just doesn't work right. Went to the JY yesterday and picked up 2 Carter BBD's both from 318 Dodge Vans. Both have worn throttle shafts. I have a milling machine and I am thinking of drilling and bushing the shafts.

Question: It seems like the end where the shaft shows through could be covered with a small plate and gasket or rubber washer using two small machine screws. This would prevent leakage through that end. Any thoughts on this technique would be appreciated. The drivers side would still need a bushing though.

Also, is the 318 jetted correctly for my setup or should I be putting in different jets?

My setup is, 74 Plymouth Scamp, freshly rebuilt 225, .040 over pistons, stock valves, ported polished and remanufactured head, .060 off the deck, 2 BBL intake , 2 1/4 exaust all the way out, 3.23 SG rear, 904 rebult tranny, stock converter. Car is daily driver, looking for reliability and some poop off the line.

Also I pulled the kickdown linkage and throttle cable bracket from an Aspen. Someone already got to the carb. This Aspen still has the 2 BBL intake which is aluminum. I almost pulled it but I decided to wait. Are the aluminum intakes off early 80's Aspens any good? Any benefits to be had?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:06 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Hey!

you can use phosphor bronze for the insert, or DELRIN (Dennis Weaver says I'm a delrin fetish and I think he may have a point there)

I'd do both sides and the middle, and you can shorten the end of the shaft and use a cap plug, or a solid galley plug made of soft or hard metal, rubber or.... Delrin :roll: :idea:

I'd say that the 318 carb would be about right for your car since it ain't a stocker, it has over stock potential. If you know years for those vans you salvaged, Mr. SlantSixDan can give you a good idea about the jetting thing, how they should be from factory specs and if there are any changes to made.

About the aluminium intake, some people don't like them due to porosity, but it weight a lot less and you can always coat it with some tough paint that solves that issue.

Just my 2 cents....

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:13 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Well I'm finally sick of the Holley 5200. Just doesn't work right. Picked up 2 Carter BBD's
Welcome back from the dark side! :-D
Quote:
both from 318 Dodge Vans
Year...?
Quote:
Both have worn throttle shafts. I have a milling machine and I am thinking of drilling and bushing the shafts.
Good idea. Work carefully to make sure you drill on-centre.
Quote:
Question: It seems like the end where the shaft shows through could be covered with a small plate and gasket or rubber washer using two small machine screws. This would prevent leakage through that end.
Not necessary with a good shaft/bushing fit. Some carb designs do enclose the end of the throttle shaft, but from a geeky design perspective, I think it's better to leave that junction uncapped and make sure the bushing/shaft fit is good. Why? Because any little particle of grit that happens to get in that junction will eventually get flushed out without a cap, but it'll stay there and keep a-grindin' away, degrading the shaft-bushing fit, with a cap. (On the other hand, maybe with a cap you're less likely to get a piece of grit there in the first place? Donno.) No cap from the factory on BBDs, and they run very well when in good shape...

And a cap like you describe doesn't remove the need for a good shaft/bushing fit, either, since slop in this junction allows air to leak not only from outside the carb to inside, but also from above the throttle plate to below it. This can spoil idling and low-speed operation.
Quote:
Also, is the 318 jetted correctly for my setup or should I be putting in different jets?
Kinda depends on the year it was removed from. Should be more-or-less OK.
Quote:
Also I pulled the kickdown linkage and throttle cable bracket from an Aspen. Someone already got to the carb. This Aspen still has the 2 BBL intake which is aluminum. I almost pulled it but I decided to wait. Are the aluminum intakes off early 80's Aspens any good?
This has been discussed at great length. Search this board for messages containing the word "porous" by author slantsixdan to see prior threads. The answer is "yes but no" or "No but yes". In a nutshell: Prone to leaks, cracks and warping, but most of the porous ones have been discarded by now, and the ones that remain can work if inspected for cracks and warping, treated (coated) and installed carefully, and they weigh almost nothing. That's for the 2-piece welded intakes that look like an intake-shaped tub with an intake-shaped plate welded on top (can see the weld bead around the top edges of the intake). The 1-piece sand-cast aluminum intakes, on the other hand, while rare in 2bbl form, are quite good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:59 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Oh sorry, I forgot to check my posts in a few days. Um, the 318 BBD's. One was from a 1972 and the other from a '73 or '73.

I managed to get the 72 carb up and running smoothly with no rework on the throttle shafts. I took it to a carb rebuilder and he said it actually looked pretty good. He said just put it together and go. Well I did and it runs quite well. It's definitely running rich though. I don't think it will pass smog this way. He also told me the 318 carbs will run rich on a 225 ( although mine is modified) and cannot be made to run otherwise. Not sure if this is true. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:07 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Oh sorry, I forgot to check my posts in a few days. Um, the 318 BBD's. One was from a 1972 and the other from a '73
OK, so the jetting should be in the right neighbourhood for a modified 225.
Quote:
I managed to get the 72 carb up and running smoothly with no rework on the throttle shafts. I took it to a carb rebuilder and he said it actually looked pretty good.
Despite the side slop you detected...?
Quote:
It's definitely running rich though. I don't think it will pass smog this way. He also told me the 318 carbs will run rich on a 225
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Seems to depend on the particular 225 and the particular carb.