Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 2bbl idles high
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:50 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I installed a 2bbl intake on my /6 and I can't get the idle down - It sits at about 1100 - I have sprayed carb cleaner everywhere trying to find the vacuum leak - I have turned the idle screw all the way out to no avail - I swapped back to my 1bbl and all is happy now, just no power - Any ideas?

Cheers
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:22 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
What exact carburetor did you put on your 2bbl intake?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:15 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
An adjustment that is sometimes overlooked is the slack in the threottle cable. If you do not leave enough slack in the throttle cable adjustment then the cable will hold the throttle open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:06 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Quote:
An adjustment that is sometimes overlooked is the slack in the threottle cable. If you do not leave enough slack in the throttle cable adjustment then the cable will hold the throttle open.
I actually thought of that too until I unhooked that linkage... no dice - I tried a different baseplate as well and I can choke it off with my hands (no vac leaks) - I cannot recall which carb it was... it was a carter for sure - I used the carb that came w/ the 2bbl manifold I bought

Cheers
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:30 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
I think someone might have had the throttle plates out and didn't line them up correctly when reinstalling.........

Make sure they close all the way; if not, loosen the throttle plate screws slightly so you can get them lined up, then retighten.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:39 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Check for deliberately (factory) drilled holes in your throttle plates. These were present on some Carter BBD carbs, and they're calibrated for one specific engine displacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:57 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Quote:
Check for deliberately (factory) drilled holes in your throttle plates. These were present on some Carter BBD carbs, and they're calibrated for one specific engine displacement.
The second baseplate had those holes in them - I welded them over... no change - Have taken the plates out, switched them around every which way to no avail - Yes, I made sure they were reinstalled correctly (bevel down)

I guess the next question will be... does anyone have a good 2bbl that will work for me? - The manifold I bought is the cast iron version so there should be no cracking there :wink:

Cheers
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:11 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Try this, run the car at idle, disconnect the throttle cable, back the idle speed screw all the way out, now back the fast idle screw out to ensure that the fast idle cam linkage is not misadjusted and the car is actually idling with the fast idle speed screw sitting on the bottom of the fast idle cam.

If the car is still idling high (actually, if it is idling at all) you have some kind of avacuum leak or mechanical bind that is allowing air to pass the throttle blades.

If the idle speed lowers when you back out the fast idle screw, you most likely need to adjust the fast idle cam linkage (or possibly the choke linkage).