Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:01 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I found these headers at a local junkyard...paid $22 for 'em. I bought them for a buddy that has a slant in his 73 Duster. I pulled them out of a truck, and it had a low mount starter. I think the Duster would have a high mount...is it going to be a lot of work to get them to fit?

Are the high and low headers very different? Just curious.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:13 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I don't think you'll have too much trouble with the high-mount starter location, just going by the pictures you provided. If you do find a clearance problem, a mini starter ('89-'99 5.2 or 5.9 V8 or 3.9 V6 Dodge pickup or fullsize van) may solve the problem without pipe bending being required. You may run into other fitment issues in the car that don't exist in the truck. Steering box, K-frame, etc. At least they're a starting point!

I see this is your first post. Welcome onboard. Fasten yer seat belt! And would you mind please downsizing your .sig photo in consideration of those on slow connections? Here y'go:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:28 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Hi Goody, welcome aboard! :D

There is a very good chance that since they came out of a truck they physically will not clear a Duster chassis, no matter where the starter is. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:57 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Quote:
Hi Goody, welcome aboard! :D

There is a very good chance that since they came out of a truck they physically will not clear a Duster chassis, no matter where the starter is. :(

on cliffords site, the ones they currently sell dont say if they are for a car or truck..hmmmm. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:35 am 

Quote:
on cliffords site, the ones they currently sell dont say if they are for a car or truck..hmmmm. :)
That's because Clifford headers may not fit anything. :shock:

The ones in my '66 were supposed to fit my Duster. They didn't. :roll:

I had a set of long tubes that were supposed to fit '67-'76 A body. They didn't. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:22 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
:roll: Is it me or does buying headers for a Slanter seem to come under the heading of "crapshoot"? I picked up a set of the JR built headers from Mopar Performance, still in the box, and I'm anxious to see if they'll fit a stripped 64 Dart. Some say they fit all A-bodys, some say only 67 and later. I think it was Thropar who has a set on his early A with some mallet power tossed their way. It's been my experience that headers are not constructed with the most exacting of tolerances. I built two small block F-bodys and brought two sets of identical headers at the same time: the first set about fell into the car, and the second set I had to beat like a rented mule to fit. If anybody has got a trick or two to fitting these things throw them up here, it might save somebody a stroke or something......RICK :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:57 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
OMG ! Goody hanging out on the slant 6 board ! Whats the world coming to ?

Welcome Goody !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:32 pm 

Quote:
:roll: Is it me or does buying headers for a Slanter seem to come under the heading of "crapshoot"? I picked up a set of the JR built headers from Mopar Performance, still in the box, and I'm anxious to see if they'll fit a stripped 64 Dart. Some say they fit all A-bodys, some say only 67 and later. I think it was Thropar who has a set on his early A with some mallet power tossed their way. It's been my experience that headers are not constructed with the most exacting of tolerances.
Yes, Slant headers seem to be a crapshoot. I have a set of the MP headers that fit my Duster nicely, all I had to do was reroute the trans cooler lines. Others have not even been able to get them to bolt to the head. :shock:

Fitting them in an early A means having to possibly shim up the motor mounts, grind off part of the steering box, bend the pitman and idler arms down, and some hammer massage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:32 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
That's because Clifford headers may not fit anything. :shock:
Quote:

hmmm..im willin to bet they fit a truck 8)

well if some modification is necessary im sure the guy i got em for can do it. and for $22 i dont think they can be too far off. thanks for the info guys! :lol: