Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:51 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Hey folks!
I've got an old 1975 Valiant/Duster with a 225 slant six, and she needs new motor mounts (the rubber has ripped where the bolt goes thru), but I have not been able to find any listings for mounts in anything but the V8 engines.
I'm a noobie here for certain, but I have tried the search function, and the PST site and Year One, and I still have not found a listing for what I had assumed would be a fairly common part.
Could any of you kind people point me in the right direction?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:38 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
V8 and \6 mounts use the same rubber bushings in the '73-up spool-type mount setup. You can get polyurethane replacement transmission mounts from Schumacher, and while it looks like he supplies polyurethane mount spools only as complete V8-only mount assemblies (worth calling him and asking), you can get replacement rubber spool bushings for your engine mounts as Anchor 2376, or complete mounts as 2323 and 2324, left and right. RockAuto will sell you the Anchor items.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:49 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
autozone has a listing for the inserts, but not the mounts. sounds like a sleazy way to go, but may be better than nothing. napa lists both mounts and inserts on their site, but last time i tried to order something there i waited a week to be told they were experiencing technical difficulties and could not fill my order via the web. maybe that's fixed by now.

-james

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:53 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Thanx, guys!
That was a quick response!
I'm glad to know the mounts are the same as the V8s; it makes sense now that I didn't see a seperate listing for the slant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:33 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I had 'called myself' looking at the RockAuto site before, without finding the mounts. Thanks to you folks, I did find them there.. here it is, two days later, and the UPS man just dropped them off. Good price, too; about $25 shipped for both sides.
I knew there was a good reason to join this site..y'all rock! :D [/i]

Post subject: Motor Mounts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:12 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Do people not realize that NAPA can get you pretty much anything you need? I paid like $16 for a pair of them, screw the rip off artist Schmucker as his prices are waaaaaayy too high!

Post subject: Re: Motor Mounts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:19 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
Do people not realize that NAPA can get you pretty much anything you need?
They cannot furnish polyurethane mounts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:45 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Quote:
Do people not realize that NAPA can get you pretty much anything you need?
I disagree. I used to own a 76 Voalre Sedan that I super sixed and installed a Holley 2280 on. I went to one of the local Napas (since closed) and asked for a rebuild kit for a Holley 2280. The young guy behind the counter looked at his computer (after the typical what make/model discussion)and then he insisted that i had the wrong carb model number because the computer did not show a listing for Holley ever making a model 2280 carb. So I tried the feedback version, the 6280. No luck there either. I insisted that i had the model number right and he insisted it was never made. I invited him to come out to the parking lotto look at the carb that was installed on my engine and he declined. i ended going to a different Napa staffed by ex-dealership mechanics and they got me the kit in five minutes.

The statement that you can get anything you need at Napa must be qualified with the caveat that you have to have the part number before you go in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:27 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
The statement that you can get anything you need at Napa must be qualified with the caveat that you have to have the part number before you go in.
And with the even bigger caveat that NAPA does not carry "anything" you might need. Polyurethane motor mounts are only one of many examples. Want a good distributor cap for a slant-6? NAPA can't supply it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:35 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I recently Got a st of spool mounts fro my 79 volare Slant six From advance auto - In less than 2 days too.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:35 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
my experience with napa and advance (both nearby) is that service and knowledgablility depends on who's behind the desk and where they're looking. the guys at advance always check the computer (there is one guy who checks books for me, but i haven't seen him in a while). the good ole boys down at the Pungo Napa always check the books first (saved my dad $45 on a brake drum).
this has been my same experience as at other stores...autozone, Pepboys, etc...
i try not to condemn the entire store chain for the action of one not-so-smart employee...i just make sure not to show up at their register :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:45 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
It's absolutely true that the counter guy (or counter girl) can be the difference between a short pleasant trip to the parts store and a long frustrating one. :(
Here in Macon, we have Advance, Pep Boys, O'Reily's, NAPA, etc, but when I can, I use small independent places that are locally owned and staffed by competent old-timers. When they don't have a part readily available, I like to do the online thing... 8)
The Anchor part #s SlantSixDan gave me for RockAuto made the deal sweet, and I never had to leave my seat..literally. :wink:
I'm an old guy, and the more I can sit on my ass, the better! :D :D
Thanx again!
Be seeing you..
Bucky