Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: new starter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:59 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
got a replacement starter from a scrapyard, came from an 01 dodge dakota 5.2L V8.
in looking at my starter, the battery cable comes down to a plate with two wings on it, shaped if you will excuse the term, like two butt cheeks. one cheek bolts on to a larger bolt, one to a thinner bolt.
on the starter i got, there is the larger bolt, but no thinner bolt. there is also a black plastic housing oval shaped with a thin metal contact inside. i don't have anything to connect to that. did i get the wrong starter?
part number is:
CHRYSLER 56027702AC
TN 228000-7421
Denso Manufacturing

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:44 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
you may want to go back and clip the donor truck's wiring harness to get the male connector that fits into your starter. while the early mini starters had a pair of metric studs similar to the old starters (IIRC you'd still have to cut your "plate's" buttcheeks in two for it to work,) the later starters did away with the small stud and replaced it with a modern connetor. in fact, the last MP mini starter i bought had that connection and came with a pigtail to be spliced into my stock wiring harness. works fine and eases starter removal somewhat. the downside to making a permanent splice is you can't easily go back to an old-style starter. i guess you could adapt the new pigtail to your old harness with a round connector and small nut and bolt. whatever works for you.

-james

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:04 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Naw, you got the right one (as long as the starter has a nose casting that goes all the way forward and covers the drive pinion, rather than the later type which has no nose casting, just a plate with the bare drive pinion in the middle).

See this post for terminal details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:57 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I just used a small (0.110") female disconnect tab and crimped it onto the relay wire and connected it to the spade terminal on the starter then slipped a scrap sparkplug angle boot to cover and seal the socket terminal. If you look at it, it looks 'stock-ish' and is more than adequate. Simple 5 minute hook up that cost me literally 5 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:47 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
yeah, the gear has a cone shaped housing around the bottom half, i assume that is what you're referring to.
thanks for the updates!
matt