Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:55 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I have a question about the brakes on my 67 Dart GT. How do I know if the car has early or late type brake shoes in the front? I have 10" drums and am told there are two possible types of brake shoes as Dodge switched sometime in the model year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:13 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
That is not correct; there is no "early" vs. "late" division in the brake shoes. The 10" A-body front drums all use the same shoes through at least '72. Raybestos 332PG, Bendix R332.

Post subject: Your right!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:42 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I don't know what the clerk at NAPA was talking about, the shoes I bought at Car Quest work great (I just installed them) and they assured me it was the right part.

Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:50 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Quote:
That is not correct; there is no "early" vs. "late" division in the brake shoes. The 10" A-body front drums all use the same shoes through at least '72. Raybestos 332PG, Bendix R332.
Actually, according to my NAPA catalog, (I used to manage a NAPA store, so I have most of the buyers guides, reference illustrations, and size charts) the 332 series fits all 10X 2-1/4" fronts from 1969 through 1973.

The Late '67 and '68, 10 X 2-1/4 take a 306 while the 1965 through early '67 10 X 2-1/4 takes a 304.

Now, looking the illustrations up in the Reference Illustration Guide, the differences seem to lie in various holes drilled into the shoe web.

It is quite possible that some aftermarket re-manufacturers have universalized all applications to use the 332, but NAPA still keeps different part numbers listed for the different applications for their new shoes.

By the looks of the illustrations, I would believe that return spring kits would need to be changed in order to apply later shoes (332) to earlier applications (306, 304).

Then, again, maybe all the cores have already been drilled to universalize them, so it might not matter..........

.....but, there IS a difference among the various applications.....but, it might not matter.