Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Head work questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:42 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Ok so I finally got my head to the machinist and they are checking for cracks. I've got a pretty solid idea of what I'm going to be doing, but I still have a few questions.

1) Recommended head gasket. As far as I know it hasn't been overbored or anything, and I'm aiming for 9:1 SCR (I will be measuring) so will I be ok with the cheap FelPro gasket. Or should I go and spend money on something a little nicer? I don't plan to turbo or run a big cam or lots of RPMs. Also, if someone can point me to the compressed size of the gasket that would be great.

2) Larger valves. It seems that the engnbldr valves (1.70" intake, 1.44" exhaust) are pretty much the standard upgrade, so that is what I'll be going with. First, where can I get them? Second, will I need new springs and retainers, if so are there a recommended set?

3) Measuring deck height. I guess I'll just pull the head and measure (unless someone has a crafty trick for measuring with the head on). Currently I have a shim style gasket, can I just reinstall it (dumb idea, mostly wishful thinking)? I just don't want to spend money on a head gasket that I'll only use for maybe a couple weeks.

4) Pinging. 9:1 SCR with a stock cam should be fine for 87 pump gas, right? How about with one of those Erson RV10M-RDP? I'll be running the stock cam for a while, but I've read good things about that erson cam so I'd like to have the option one day.

5) Other recommendations. My plan is to have the machinist install the larger valves then I'll take the head and do some minor porting (and maybe a light polish on the exhaust). Then recheck chamber sizes and back to the machinist for milling. Any flaws with this plan or anything else I should do while I'm at it?

Also, I think either Sandy or Charlie posted an interesting link to an article describing how to improve on the early mopar combustion chamber, would love to read that again but couldn't find it with the search.

Last edited by Josh P on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:12 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Valves from engnbldr on eBay:

225 slant six Stainless racing valves 1.70", 1.44" EV-8

Remember bronze guides, springs - he usually has 340 V8 springs in stock if you go for a higher lift cam than stock, and locks, while you're at it.

Olaf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:13 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thank Olaf, their website didn't list anything about SL6 products. Didn't even think to check eBay...

I've seen some posts the reference head gasket compressed height, but never see it posted anywhere else. Where are others getting their info?

Also, I'm planning to lift the head and manifolds together when I go in to measure the deck height and bore, is this a bad idea or should it be alright?

Post subject: Yes, but...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:22 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Also, I'm planning to lift the head and manifolds together when I go in to measure the deck height and bore, is this a bad idea or should it be alright?
That's about 125+ lbs of iron to lift while leaning over the fender, use an engine lift to pull it off in one chunk, or get some help...and a bottle of percosets and icyhot...

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:37 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Josh P, you'll get 17 very relevant hits, if you make a query with exactly the following text: felpro AND head AND gasket AND compressed

It is easier than me listing them! :lol:

Olaf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:58 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
charlie s on here has some NOS shim gaskets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:20 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
DusterIdiot, I definitely plan to use a lift.

Olaf, I guess I was wondering more about how I would find out that information if I came across a gasket that wasn't mentioned here. Asking around at parts counters doesn't produce much info, nor does most manufacture websites.

hantayo13, I don't think a steel shim gasket would seal all that great on my engine since I won't be resurfacing the deck. Although it was supposedly rebuilt ~45,000 miles ago, at which point the deck was (hopefully) resurfaced. Any votes for attempting to use the shim gasket?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:33 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Only if you entered the latest World's Strongest Man competition! Seriously, if you have some very good lifting equipment that fits under the hood, and only lift it off to do the measurments and put it back afterwords, by all means, do it.
But first, think about it twice, think about how nice it is to be able to stand upright without backpains, and then decide not to do it; it's HEAVY!! Very, very, very heavy!

Olaf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:15 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
Only if you entered the latest World's Strongest Man competition! Seriously, if you have some very good lifting equipment that fits under the hood, and only lift it off to do the measurments and put it back afterwords, by all means, do it.
I am planning to use an engine lift (as stated above), however, funny enough, when I pulled the head (that is currently in the shop) i lifted it–manifolds still bolted on–out of a '73 Dart while sitting in the engine compartment. Yes it was heavy, yes my back hurt afterward, and no it didn't feel like 125lbs... it felt like a whole lot more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:06 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Lifting off a slant head dressed, solo, is one thing, levitating that thing solo at a 30 degree angle so as not to damage head gasket & hit the dowels will be damn near imposable when installing it. It’s the 30 degrees off of horizontal that’s the killer.

Two pairs of hands… Possible.