Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Heater Box
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:17 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Hi,
I was checking out under the dash in preparation for what I thought was going to be wiper pivot gaskets/seal replacement because of water entering and saturating the vinyl floor padding, but was not able to get them to leak with the garden hose. I was able to get a typhoon of a leak because I must have allowed to much water in at the air intake at base of windshield and it wasn't able to evacuate before spilling over and into the air box...that was a mess....but I wasn't able to find any other leak nor any rust/rot that would allow water to get in...still puzzles me despite the heavy rains we have had recently. Could a heavy rain have caused the same senario as my typhoon? While I was at it I took the heater box out and found someone had it out once before and had damaged and cracked it in a few areas...I guess I'll be getting the fiberglass repair kit out...First time I have worked on one of these on a car this old...have done a few heater cores before brothers '85 GLH Turbo and my '86 GLH Turbo that was a chore... the '72 Valiant was a pleasure in comparison such a simple/effective unit. any pointers or upgrade tips while the heater box is out and being rejuvenated will be appreciated. Thanks .nico!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:23 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Sounds like you've found the leak point. Take the opportunity to clean out the cowl — it gets clogged with leaves and trash and no longer drains, and/or the drains get clogged from below with undercoating, paint, road mud, etc. Once the heater box is out you can reach up in there. It helps if you first break your arm in at least five places to allow the needed flexibility! :shock: A Shop-Vac can also be put to good use in cleaning out the cowl, and you'll probably need to get under the car and physically clean the drain(s).

You may find you just can't get access to the trash in the cowl from inside. The '63-'66 A-bodies had cowl cleanout plugs left and right. These were carried forward in '67 and beyond in Australia, but not in North America :-( If it becomes necessary, you can make your own hole(s) in the firewall, clean the cowl, then install an appropriate plug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:00 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks Dan!
I hope that is the source of the water :? ....I will clean the cowl area out tomorrow and I do have a shop vac which should help. I found leaves, shells from some kind of nuts and mouse droppings in the heater box. aside from the cracked housing, that I'm going to repair, everything else heater core/motor have no issues. Do you recommend a particular sealer/sealant for the box halves when they get put back together? should turn out pretty nice and the satisfaction of doing it myself with the help from everyone here...thanks, nico

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:08 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
Valleyant
I dont mean to hyjack your thread but, Dan where are the plugs to clean out the cowl. I cant see them on my 66 Cuda. Also at one time you had a source for the wiper seals.
Thanks
Frank

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:45 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The cowl plugs are right up top. Open the hood and stare at the top of the firewall, and you'll see one oval plug on the left at an angle, and one on the right at the opposite angle. They're not very big.

The wiper sea kitls come from Schumacher (scroll down the categories at the left side of the page).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:30 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
Got it thanks Dan.
Frank

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered