Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:14 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
i have 65 dart that previous owner changed the engine to late? model truck?motor. i'm working on the convertor trans problem, need to tell what type of crank. engine is in car. thanks for any help. BILL email at billbarbee222@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:49 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Quote:
i have 65 dart that previous owner changed the engine to late? model truck?motor. i'm working on the convertor trans problem, need to tell what type of crank. engine is in car. thanks for any help. BILL email at billbarbee222@yahoo.com
Why? There is no issue with converter compatability between cast and forged cranks, with the slant six. The only issue is the year of a forged crank. The 67 and earlier cranks had a small converter pilot hole in the end of the crank. The 68 and later cranks got a larger pilot hole. If you are using a late (68 up) crank, with a early (67 down) trans/converter, you need a adapter bushing in the end of the crank.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:47 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
i understand about the size of pilot hole and diff in inputs, but i thought any cast crank would require a convertor with weights like a v 8 cast crank? to make long story short previous owner had tried to run with 67 up convertor and has apparantly damages input shaft. wondering if you know if any what front pumps can be used in this s/6 trans (65). also good source for rebuild kit? thanks again for youre help. BILL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:11 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Later torque converters are not supposed to be able to drive the input shaft due to the different spline sizes. Of course the car would not move if no torque were applied to the input shaft, but because the pump is driven there will be hydraulic pressure. Unless the front pump bushing were in really, really bad shape I wouldn't expect the input shaft to be damaged, but I suppose it's possible.

As for front pump interchange and rebuild parts I would speak with Rick at A and A Transmission. You can download their catalog and/or browse parts on-line too. http://www.aandatrans.com/Default.aspx I do believe you can use just about any non-lockup input shaft and front pump, but check with the experts. If you were close I'd give you a pump and input shaft to check compatibility as I have spares.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:27 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
i understand about the size of pilot hole and diff in inputs, but i thought any cast crank would require a convertor with weights like a v 8 cast crank?
Only the 360 V8 is externally balanced. All the other V8s (cast and forged cranks alike), and the slant-6 (cast and forged crank alike) are internally balanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:46 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
thanks for the advice. problem with this car is i got it from friend that hauled it in to turkey house 5 yrs ago and had little info on it when he bought it.(turkey house find) (sorta like barn find!). i 've had dozens of mopars since mid 80's and am always learning (sometimes i forgot what i did know!). i have 72 charger i put a 440 cast crank motor in. i've had bunches of 440's but this is first time to use cast motor. (i got it from friend cheap). anyway. i can see the infut has had some damage to it. i will hunt another front pump to have for it. if i could get the charger sold and have a little extra $$ i would change dart over to 4 speed overdrive. almost $ gas slows me down. i drive 42 miles to work one way.
i've had about all of the so called collectible mopars over the yrs but i get just as much pleasure wrenching on the s/6 dart( actually i have 2 of them) (sure sign i'm a bona fide moparite!). i wish some of the new comers to the hobby could understand you don't need a high prifile car to have fun with it!. as you probably know, you go to the nats and see one hemi car after another. but what gets everyone's attention is something usually oddball like maybe a 65 dart with straight axle and awb and built up s/6!! funny world!! thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:05 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Quote:
Only the 360 V8 is externally balanced. All the other V8s (cast and forged cranks alike), and the slant-6 (cast and forged crank alike) are internally balanced.
Not totally correct. The 340 cast crank is externally ballanced, like the 360.
Also the forged crank, 440-6 big blocks, are externally ballanced, as are the cast crank big blocks.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:38 am 
Guru

Car Model:
I have used 904 input shafts if you need one.
Are you planning to stay with the 65's small spline input shaft or change over to the 68 and up, large spline set-up?
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:04 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
Not totally correct. The 340 cast crank is externally ballanced, like the 360.
Also the forged crank, 440-6 big blocks, are externally ballanced, as are the cast crank big blocks.
Thanks for the correction — I tend to pay only peripheral attention to engines with too many cylinders, half of which are on the wrong side. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:11 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Quote:

Thanks for the correction — I tend to pay only peripheral attention to engines with too many cylinders, half of which are on the wrong side. :cool:
No problem, I know what you mean. I had to look at my notes from the "old"days, before I posted.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:05 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
I tend to pay only peripheral attention to engines with too many cylinders, half of which are on the wrong side. :cool:
Dan you HAVE to let me use that line!!!! I promise I'll credit you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:47 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
I tend to pay only peripheral attention to engines with too many cylinders, half of which are on the wrong side. :cool:
Dan you HAVE to let me use that line!!!! I promise I'll credit you...
Go for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:37 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
If you're ever up in the KC area, I have a complete auto trans with torque converter out of my 82 stepside you can have for $20. I presume it works just fine as the engine had a bent rod when I got the truck, but I swapped back in a 4-speed manual that was in the truck to begin with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:51 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
thanks. i lived up here Cameron for many years. not sure i might get up that way but will give you a holler when i can. thanks again. BILL