Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Gas gauge help
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:42 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
EDIT: I found that the peg that connects to the sender wire to the circuit board was not giving a good connection. I tried moving it which broke it off. After soldering it back on I have a good connection. Now when I turn the ignition key the gas gauge pegs to full. Could this be a bad ground on the sender?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having trouble getting my gas gauge to work on my 64 dart.

It never has worked since I bought the car about two months ago. The temp gauge and ammeter are working. A couple of weeks ago I grounded the sending wire with my wife watching the gauge and she said that slowly went to full after a few seconds. I ended up pulling the sending unit and saw that I had a bad float, so I replaced with a new sending unit from vans. After I put everything back together I fully expected the gas gauge to work and it still sat on empty.

I then tried the ground test and the gauge did not move. I checked the resistance on the sending unit and was able to get a good reading indicating that it was working correctly. Thinking I did something to mess up my gauge I purchased another one and tried it out with no luck. Only with the replacement gauge the temp gauge started to go all the way over when I turned on the car.

I tried a third gauge with the same result as my original gauge. It also did not move when I grounded the sending wire.

I've tested a couple of the gauges voltage regulator by connecting them to my battery (Positive to I on gauge and Negative to ground on gauge) and read the voltage at the I terminal and on the S terminal. The I terminal read 12.4 volts and the S terminal voltage bounced between 0 and 7-11 volts. My service manual said that the voltage on the S terminal should only bounce between 0-7.

Anyway, I'll be out working on the car tomorrow to see if I can figure anything else out, so and advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Robert

Last edited by robjkc on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:20 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Have you grounded the sending unit?

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:04 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Quote:
Have you grounded the sending unit?
I believe so. I put back on the grounding strap.

Is there a way to bench test the gauge? I've also thought of trying to remove the gauge and take voltage readings on the circuit board. I may try that tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:59 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Make sure your ground connections are clean. Sounds like a possible grounding issue.

I was getting really annoyed by reading your problem. I can't even imagine having to actually deal with that. Why do 2 things always break at once? What a pain :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:27 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Quote:
Make sure your ground connections are clean. Sounds like a possible grounding issue.

I was getting really annoyed by reading your problem. I can't even imagine having to actually deal with that. Why do 2 things always break at once? What a pain :x
Thanks for the advice! I may recheck my ground strap on the sending unit again. If the sending unit is not properly grounded would that cause the pegged gas gauge? As far as other ground connections, are there others that would be involved with the gas gauge?

It's not all bad...at least I'm getting pretty good at removing the dash :)

I guess these sort of problems are bound to happen with a 45 year old car.

Thanks again!
Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:27 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
If the gas gauge (tank) is not grounded, the gauge will read low or E, not F - if the dash or gauge is not grounded, the gauge could peg. You ought to see pulsing 12V at the sender - steady 12V means no ground or a shot limited. I'm pretty sure the limiter is inside the '64's gauge, but I can't swear to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:53 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Quote:
If the gas gauge (tank) is not grounded, the gauge will read low or E, not F - if the dash or gauge is not grounded, the gauge could peg. You ought to see pulsing 12V at the sender - steady 12V means no ground or a shot limited. I'm pretty sure the limiter is inside the '64's gauge, but I can't swear to it.
Thanks, that helps! I'm thinking now that I didn't have my cluster secured to the dash (no ground) when I tested the last time. That would explain the 'Full' reading. And yes, the '64's have the internal limiter. I plan on doing the RTE external limiter soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:43 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Another update...I was able to get the gauge working. I inadvertently broke off the pin for the sending unit on the circuit board. After trying to solder it back on with poor results I ended up running a jumper wire from the sending unit wire to the back of the gauge.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Post subject: gas gauge
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:03 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
A six volt lantern battery across hot peg and ground peg will
show half tank if gauge is good.

shadetree