Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:21 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I'm thinking of putting one behind my 225 eventually turbocharged slant. They cost about 2 grand for one and I'm going to get a SFI approved bellhousing made for the transmission. I'm planning on using basically a stock flywheel(if McLoed still makes them probably theirs) I would like to go as big of a clutch as possible I think it's 10"? It will likely be something I put together myself as they have a 10 spline input shaft so I'll have to buy a pressure plate ment for my engine and a clutch that may be from something different( I believe a ford thunderbird manual has a 10 spline input and the proper clutch dia.)

Any opinions on what I would have to do to make this work? I'm doing some custom work to my 68(custom air bag suspension that I will hopefully be able to drop the car to the ground with, and independent rear suspension) And figured I'd go all the way with the car and upgrade from my 4 speed to a 6 speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:04 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I may be really close on a solution for the clutch you need. Give me a few days, and I will be able to take some pictures, and tell you the specs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:46 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Why not? $2k is not too bad for 6 gears. You'll have to fab up a plate to adapt the BH to the engine, and then the clutch is the rest of the picture. Should be similar to or identical to our T5 clutch setups.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:42 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Ask to talk to Reds at McLeod. They were working on a modular bell housing system to mate any trans to any engine. See if it is a reality.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:45 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Check these pages out they may help. I may be intrested in trying this my self. This bell housing uses the Small block pattern so i figure you may be able to use the slant 6 adapter plate to sbm trannies. Dose this sound like it could be an option. it also uses a 130tooth flywheel and 10.95 clutch and its all sfi approved.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-Dodge ... enameZWD1V

http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:25 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
If you are a good machinist or know one it wouldn't be difficult at all to redrill that bellhousing's block plate to fit the slant. Same job as some racers have previously done to fit a small block scatter shield. Only issue may be the different starter position although the low starter might help some cars. Twin-turbo and a 5 or 6 speed? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:06 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
If you are a good machinist or know one it wouldn't be difficult at all to redrill that bellhousing's block plate to fit the slant. Same job as some racers have previously done to fit a small block scatter shield. Only issue may be the different starter position although the low starter might help some cars. Twin-turbo and a 5 or 6 speed? :D
Thats actually what I was thinking. I am a machinist but I want an SFI approved bellhousing because I plan on racing this car and drag racing and I hope for some really quick times. When I do the turbo motor I'm thinking I'll split the exhaust's and intake's into 3's and run each set with a custom manifold and a custom exhaust with one turbo/throttle body for each set. should be pretty powerful and once I get my slant truck block it should be pretty strong. I need to figure out my bellhousing/transmission decisions pretty quick because I'm going to be building the car so it drops right to the ground on the frame with airbags. I'm building the normal conventional frame connectors as well as my own nascar style x connectors. I want to avoid putting in a roll cage so I'm going to reweld all the factory spot welds and strengthen the frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:17 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Does anyone have a PN or a link to where I can find the slant 6 to mopar small block adapter plate? google just comes up with a slant to glide bellhousing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:35 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
see the SPEC clutch thread. This was the clutch solution that I was suggesting a few days ago for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:15 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
The spec clutch topic is a good help, but my needs right now are to be able to assemble a mockup drivetrain assembly. I bought a 89 Mustang 2.3 T-5 5 speed to use as the transmission behind my stock slant and mockup for a 5 speed that will be strong enough for my turbo engine. I'll just swap it when I put the turbo motor in to a built T-5 or a TKO600. What I really need to know is what this slant 6 to small block adapter plate costs and where to get it. My Quicktime bellhousing will run me about 600 usd.

So if I use the Quicktime bellhousing will I be able to upgrade to a small block 10.5 clutch disc? I'd really like to just figure out how I can hook my bellhousing for the small block to the slant/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:56 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
All this has been chewed to death....

You are limited by flywheel size .

You will probaly find the 4cyl T5 is strong enough for any slant you can put in front of it. Clutches are the limiting factor.

Let me get this right: you want to adapt a small block BH to a slant and a Ford box to the BH? Thats a lot of adapting.

For the price of the Quicktime BH you can do the whole swap .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:45 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
All this has been chewed to death....

You are limited by flywheel size .

You will probaly find the 4cyl T5 is strong enough for any slant you can put in front of it. Clutches are the limiting factor.

Let me get this right: you want to adapt a small block BH to a slant and a Ford box to the BH? Thats a lot of adapting.

For the price of the Quicktime BH you can do the whole swap .
I know this has probably been talked about before but when I search I find nothing that comes close to what info I need. If theres a better way to get the T-5 hooked to the slant with an SFI approved bellhousing I'd really like to hear about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:12 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Read my previous answer.

Last edited by Joshie225 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:31 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Probably the best way to get an SFI bellhousing behind a slant is to use an aftermarket small block explosion proof bellhousing and redrill the block saver plate to fit the slant. Then redrill a 130 tooth small block flywheel (only one bolt hole is different) or have one made with the slant bolt pattern.
and this would work fine? If it's as simple as modifying a small block flywheel I'll just buy an SFI approved aftermarket flywheel and use that. For the starter tho? how to I bolt that up afterwards?

Post subject: The change...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:44 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
For the starter tho? how to I bolt that up afterwards?
The starter will mount like the truck 11" clutch bells or the standard small block bell in the 'lower' position instead of the slant's top position...

-D.Idiot