Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:09 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
After following the disaster of Mr. Twister's 'Power Pipe', I got to thinking. I have friend who was in the side business of building headers for demo cars, and that business has gone kinda flat for him.

I gave him a call this afternoon and talked to him about doing a set of Slant headers for the early A only that will be a modified copy of the Clifford. He already has a supplier for flanges and collectors, and is very interested in this for a fall/winter project.

Right now the plan is to get my car to his shop for a feasibility study of whether this can be done economically or not, and also what improvements we can make. If we can not do it for a price competitive with Spitfire or Clifford, we will not do it.

So, let me know how much interest there really is here.

Post subject: interested
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:28 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
interested, but for 170 application, buildem'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:28 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I would be interested in a new set of headers. My cliffords arent going to last forever. But I dont have an early A-body. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:33 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I would love to have a set of long headers well built with thick flanges to be used for torque, not rpm. Like or better than the earlier Clifford's that are not available any longer, 3 tubes collected together.

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:35 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
H'mm. Let me float this idea, which got lost early in the backwash with the PowerPipe idiocy: Instead of copying a product that's already available, how about offering something truly new, a tubular block-hugger header closely modelled on the mid-'90s Jeep 4.0 inline Six item, which is available with or without crack-preventive expansion joints.

This exhaust manifold/header is the one the Jeep 4-litre motor made 190 horsepower with (as tested to the same protocol that rated the least-strangled 225 at 110), which suggests to me plenty of capacity to support a wide range of Slant-6 builds short of out-and-out top maximum racework. Seems to me such a block-hugger setup would clear just about any body and any intake setup, leave lots of room for power steering and whatnot without the usual hassle of trying to make headers fit, have the flange junction raised up off the ground to eliminate the ground clearance problem. And, while I'm not a pipefitter, it doesn't look to me as if any of the bends would be terribly complicated to make. Seems like an off-the-shelf slant-6 header flange plate, together with some high-grade piping skillfully welded, could result in a unique and beneficial new header for the \6. Could even weld a sheetmetal bracket to the #5 pipe to support the electric automatic choke for maximum street compatibility. No intake manifold heat, but a clever person could probably add an extra pipe loop opened or closed with a valve like this, with a fabricated hotbox to bolt to the underside of the intake manifold. And/or, this type of header would leave ample room under the intake for a bolt-on water hotbox, which is an off-the-shelf product via Frank Raso.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:08 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
ya ide be interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:17 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Make it stainless steel, with expansion joints, and with an optional turbo ( T3 or preferably, T4 flanged), and I will buy one.

(edit)-- I have a snazzy modified manifold from MPG Mike for a turbo. This shows that I am serious, and not a tire kicker. I know that Possum and Mad Scientist Matt had custom turbo headers made. I am not sure what Sam is using, but he has a turbo as well. There is a market for a good quality turbo header, especially along the lines of what Dan suggested. (/edit)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:36 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
I'm interested, if the price isn't terribly high.

But.... is it a header, or is it a manifold? :twisted:

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:59 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
If the exhaust is going to be a true 3 into 1 collected header I'm interested. If it fits an early A-body it will fit my '67 Valiant. I would want a Y-pipe with larger tubes than the Clifford headers.

I don't think the Jeep style tubular manifold is any better and is likely worse than Dutra Duals with a properly dimensioned and constructed Y-pipe. The Jeep 'header' is still a branch manifold without a real collector.

If the original /6 manifold were divided 1-2-3/4-5-6 and the front and rear cylinders were collected farther downstream it would be much better at preventing reversion and make more power. My 240Z exhaust manifold had two outlets. The front three and back three cylinders were collected separately and joined together under the car. Most BMW and Mercedes 6 cylinders had two exhaust manifolds and were Y'd together under the car. All I can say for the stock manifold is that it is NOT one continuous log. The front three cylinders and rear cylinders each have their own log that is turned 90° and joined in the open space below the intake manifold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:05 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I have to agree with Dan. I think that that style header would cover more applications include my 86 truck.

Thanks Dave

Holley 1920 #55
HEI MSD BLaster 2
17.8 mpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:11 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
I be in the market for a least 2 sets...1 VERY SOON.
Thanks
Frank

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:25 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I have discussed a long tube design with my buddy, but he was not too keen on it. We will know more when he has a chance to look at my set of Cliffords in my car. I am hoping we can at least make the primaries longer than my Cliffords because I think they give up a lot of low end power. The Y pipe will be a larger diameter than a Clifford, he has already made one for another Slanter. If we change the design of the header, it will be a moot point anyway.

I am not interested in building any turbo stuff, later model stuff, or re-designing the wheel. It will be a modified version of the Clifford. There are already people making turbo headers. The market does not need to be flooded. I am merely trying to offer an alternative to waiting forever trying to get pipes from Clifford, or rolling the dice on a set of Spitfires.

When his primary business slows down for the winter, (and it will) we will move forward on this. The primary thing will be IF he can build them at a low enough cost to compete with Clifford and Spitfire without cutting corners or losing his ass. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:28 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Id love to have a header for my '62 v200. Of course I'd like a thick flange(I run an Offy and dont want shims), but Im goin against the grain and would like long tube 6 into 1. To be realistic if it'll fit an ealy a-body and have thick flange I'll buy it weather it's a 6-1 or a dual setup as long as it's competitively $$$ with clifford or the like. Just my 2 cents, thanks.
-Jesse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:19 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
I don't think the Jeep style tubular manifold is any better
The 4.0 made 190 real (net) horsepower with it, compared to the 225's ~110 real (net) horsepower. *shrug*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:42 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think the Jeep style tubular manifold is any better
The 4.0 made 190 real (net) horsepower with it, compared to the 225's ~110 real (net) horsepower. *shrug*
True, but the exhaust manifold is only one piece of the HO 4.0 package. As the engine in my Dakota is essentially 2/3rds of a 4.0 with a slightly shorter stroke I've familiarized myself with the Jeep engines. Compared to a slant the Jeep gets 1.91" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves, more head flow, a better combustion chamber, port EFI, more cam duration and lift, etc. The Jeep 4.0 to the 225 is a worse comparison than a 1978 vintage 110hp Buick 231 to the 205hp Series II 3800.

So who still hates electronics?