Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: electronic egnition
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:08 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
hello ever one, i have a problem with my electronic ignition, and i'm finding it hard to test the spark (just myself), are their any easy ways to test for spark becuase the plug wires are oppisite of the starter? how does a person test the coil for spark? and could the negative side (only hooked up properly) with a battery charger (12v 6amp) while trying to start it kill the coil? the positive wasn't connecting right.

thanks, kinda new to the slant 6

tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:56 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
You can get a spark tester from an auto parts store. It looks kind of like a spark plug, but has a clip on the end where the threads would be, that gets clipped to the engine, and the other end gets the plug wire connected to it.
Then you crank the engine and look for a spark in the end with the clip on it. The spark should be blueish white, and jump the gap easily. You can do this test with the coil wire, and the spark plug wire.
Just be sure there's no fuel leaks around the area where the tester is clipped, as open sparks do not go well with fuel.... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:39 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
thanks for replying, i was getting worried, i have that spark tester but i was useing the fire wall i'll try the engine. my coil is getting power but my distributor is loose, so i think it's out of time as well. so i'll give it another try after battery is charged. I'll try the coil wire to see if i'm get power throu coil. thanks again.