Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Wiper seals!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:32 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Yeah! My wiper seals came in from Schumacher........lokks like a project for today. My problem is this:
I know I'm a little different (yes, it *still* has a slant six)....but I'm not crazy. For some reason, my wipers quite working anytime the temp drops below 60* or so. After the car warms up, they work fine. I can't figure it out.....bad connection maybe? Motor going bad? Switch? If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Right now, I have to use Rain-x and speed until the car gets warm.....

225 bored .040 /.100 off block, Schneider Cam 224@.050~ .480 lift - Stock valves, blended bowls, Offenhauser intake with 500 Edelbrock carb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:51 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Did you put the grease fittings that you got with the seals on the pivots? It maybe they need to be greased. Not sure. I put my kit in about a year ago, it works great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:57 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Mine were doing a variation of this a while ago but it was more like they never worked when cold and only worked 10% of the time when warm. Anyway, I took the motor apart and cleaned everything up with a dremel and a wire brush. I'm pretty sure the real problem was just the arms binding up under the dash. I greased those up as well and turned them with my hand to get the grease in the joints. Ever since then they've worked fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:03 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
I have had intermittent wipers for a couple of years - and not the good kind. (1964 Valiant, 1 speed wipers) Here's part of the problem:

The commutator needs a light turn, and a good cleaning between segments. I might as well put in new brushes while I'm at it.

Then comes the fun of replacing the pivot seals. :cry:

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:24 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
My wipers flew off my car the other day while in use going 45 mph. :roll: :lol: It turnes out the pass side doesn't have that little clip on the bottom, and the drivers side wasn't on far enough. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:25 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
My wipers flew off my car the other day while in use going 45 mph. :roll: :lol: It turnes out the pass side doesn't have that little clip on the bottom, and the drivers side wasn't on far enough. :roll:
wow dude not good you dont wanna be driving in the rain trying to wipe the rain off the window with ur hand
:lol:

83 f150 straight 6
89 f450 diseal 4x4 dually 5sp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:23 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Well....I got them in there. Pretty simple. I did install the grease fittings; the pivot assembly was tight(not sloppy) and I plan to keep them that way. I expect a problem with the motor though......I looked and the wires on the motor face are in rough shape...

But it still leaks.......around the windshield. :evil: :roll:

225 bored .040 /.100 off block, Schneider Cam 224@.050~ .480 lift - Stock valves, blended bowls, Offenhauser intake with 500 Edelbrock carb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:40 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
to replace the polyurethane shaft seals use a blow-moulded aluminum magic marker. slip the seal over the tip of the marker and force it over the taper to the body. butt the end up against the shaft head and slip it over.
the wiper seal shaft is made of pot-metal and it will corrode if the seals leak. this will result in tight wiper shafts and overloading of the motor. as resistance to a motor drops when the rpm drops, it will fry your wiring or start blowing fuses. disconnect the wiper transmission to troubleshoot. move the wipers manually with your hand. there should be no resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:40 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Had my first real cold morning here in Sacramento and my wipers wouldn't work until my defroster cleared off the windshield. I wonder why the wipers are so weak? I greased the linkage inside and moved it around to make sure it was flowing smoothly. I'm not sure if they don't work because its cold out or because of the frost on the windsheild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:30 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
pop off the linkage bar behind the dash and move them manually without motor assistance. you may be surprised how hard they are to move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:58 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
...you may be surprised how hard they are to move.
Another very good reason to install the Schumacher seal kit - with the grease fittings. Those 30-something-year old pivots probably have some gunk / rust inside the housings that grease will take care of instantly.

Money well spent,
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:57 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
be sure to inspect the wiper shafts carefully, and if there is excessive play in them do not reinstall them. a worn or corroded shaft will leak right through the center even with the schumacher kit.
this kit is essential for installing the wiper shaft, do not attempt to re-use the old ones. the polyurethane foam shaft seals are impossible to remove once installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:58 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Actually, one of the key claims Schumacher makes with regard to their kit is that installing the grease fittings and packing the shafts with grease not only lubricates them, but it also prevents intrusion of water through the housings due to worn shafts or loose wave washers. Although, I would agree that replacing severely worn out pivots would be preferable, if possible.

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:06 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
hi jerry,
my report comes from personal experience. i used the schumacher kit and the leak persisted on one shaft. it was coming from the shaft itself and the seals were not out of position or damaged during installation. another shaft and another kit corrected the leak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:07 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
See there.... it's always nice to have first-hand, straight from the horse's mouth information and testimonials. I wasn't questioning your skills in installing the kit, nor was I disputing your claim of a continuing leak, I just wanted to let those who are dealing with this problem know that there are solutions to consider. Your input is valuable to those making the decision.

Fortunately, Aaron has not had any problems with wiper leaks, since putting his car on the road over 25,000 miles ago. Of course, it doesn't rain here in central Texas as much as it does in other places. :lol:

Jerry