Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:20 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
While searching the web for sound deadeners, I happened upon "Quietcar".

Brush on, roll on, spray on. I had a thought while reading their claims and after an exhaustive search of thier site found the MSDS for the product. A fairly simple combination of, "Modified" acrylic latex resin, Magnesium silicate, calcium carbonate, and mica.

Got me to thinkin. Here in AZ Eslastomeric roof coatings are common. They're basically rubberized liquid coatings with aluminum or titanium silicate (both for reflectivity).

I checked out "KoolKote" and it's MSDS and it's pretty similar.

It would make sense that the rubberization of both of these materials provide the necessary vibrational "deadening" to quiet the cab of a vehicle.

Anyone interested in researching possible toxic effects would be welcomed, but I don't think it'll be an issue.

At $73 for 5 gallons for Koolkote vs $249 for Quietcar it might just be our dream material.

Further research to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:22 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Gotta love MSDS's.........

:wink:

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:57 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Gotta love MSDS's.........

:wink:
Off topic, but you would be amazed at what is in something.

I showed a msds for Jack Daniels to a few guys at a fire school (training). I covered up the obvious clues and only let them see the ingredients and harmful effects. They were shocked to see what they had been enjoying.

On topic, Thanks for the info bbbbbb9! Google On!!!

Service

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:21 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Plus, if you smile big and give a friendly wave while you say "MSDS!", it sounds like you're greeting somebody in Spanish. Try it! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:16 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I works Dan! The kids officially think the old man ( :shock: I'm 36) has lost it.

One thing I noticed in the product description is that you are to apply the coating to the underside. Huh?

Quote:
"QuietCar 5 Gallon Container Car & Truck Noise Reduction & Vibration Damping

Better than Dynamat!
QuietCar Car & Truck noise reduction and vibration damping coating can be sprayed-on, rolled-on, or brushed-on the underside of your vehicle to reduce and even eliminate most road noise, engine noise, and other vibrations. Excellent for sound deadening in high-end audio installations. A typical car or truck uses 2 to 8 gallons depending on thickness, locations, and number of coats. Thicker layers and 2 to 3 coats eliminates more noise (up to 20dB of reduction can be achieved). See application instructions for further details. This technology absorbs noise, rather than masks it, and works 2 times better than mats (such as Dynamat for example). Excellent for SUV's, trucks, and virtually any vehicle which can be enhanced by lower noise."

Ya may as well spend $50.00 on rubberized undercoating or $100.00 on a spray-on bedliner to dampen the resonance.
(if you are retro applying, go with the undercoating. If the car is on a rotisserie I like the bedliner.

Service

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:59 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
There's a car stereo guy near my folks who really knows his stuff, and builds competition systems (has won TONS of competitions for sound quality based systems and pure SPL stuff). He's the best local installer of high end systems in classic cars and has a strong focus on Mopars. He swears by Accumat products.

Also if money is no concern, alot of folks I know say Second Skin products are the best out there when installed right.

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

Last edited by Jopapa on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:52 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Plus, if you smile big and give a friendly wave while you say "MSDS!", it sounds like you're greeting somebody in Spanish. Try it! :lol:
Si'

:D LOL