Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: fender
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:40 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
does any one know if the hole front end fenders hood nose clip etc from a 79 volare will fit a 80 volare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:05 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
This swap will work with no problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:05 pm 
Turbo EFI

Location: Cypress, Texas, Northwest Houston. The Lone Star State
Car Model:
From what I have heard others say, and from what I've seen (I own a '78 Volare and an '80 Volare), I must agree with Dan. As long as you swap over everything (hood, fenders, etc.), you should have no problem.
A lot of the parts on F-bodies are interchangeable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:18 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
ok thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:02 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
hi dan,wes and other f body sages. have had 3 f bodies all 6s, 77,78, and 80. also noticed the wide interchangeability of parts. the model has a peculiar reputation as one of the ten worst cars in history. as i recall from that old article the yugo, vega and pinto were worse. the f bodys lousy reputation seems to be based on excessive body rusting. my first two, 77 and 78 wagons, both rusted away to hell after 20 years , one from nj salt road cruising and the other from being flooded up to 4 feet(i dried it out, put in a new torqueflite and flushed the engine). never had a 76 but assume it is just like the 77 and 78. dont know about the 79(fs were made 76-80). my current 80 though has more differences and less interchangeability of parts e.g. the combination wiper, washer and directional on the wheel stalk seems to be a step backward over the former dash mounted wiper washer and more fragile. this 80 was ziebart rustproofed which after 29 years seems to have really slowed down the rust(car was originally from conn. in the snow salt rust belt). for years thought the ziebart style rustrproofing didnt work . now im not so sure. after 80 the f body seemed to continue in a lengthened model , the m body. are they very similar? curious about your opinions on my observatons. bob f

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:02 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
the combination wiper, washer and directional on the wheel stalk seems to be a step backward over the former dash mounted wiper washer and more fragile.
Cheaper to make.
Quote:
after 80 the f body seemed to continue in a lengthened model , the m body. are they very similar?
First year for the M-body was '77. They are very similar to the F-body with a great deal of interchangeability of parts on, in, and under the car. Even the doors interchange!

Post subject: m bodies
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:26 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
hi dan- thanks for your info and correction on the m body. wasnt that model made through 87 or did it last longer? i think included diplomats, furies and lebarons. right? even though they were made for 10 years, their production numbers must have been pretty low due . not too many around. figure the k car during that era eclipsed them. regards. bob f

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:43 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Even the J Body (80-83 Cordoba, 80-83 Mirada and 81-83 Imperial) shared a lot of the underchassis/mechanical stuff. Possibly even the floor pan was the same as the F Bodies

Post subject: Re: m bodies
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:20 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
hi dan- thanks for your info and correction on the m body. wasnt that model made through 87
Quote:
think included diplomats, furies and lebarons
See the full list here.

Quote:
though they were made for 10 years, their production numbers must have been pretty low
Pretty high. They were reasonably popular, and very popular with cops and cabbies.

Post subject: m bodies
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:18 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
thanks dan for that very interesting read on the wiki history of the m bodies. we all have a car or cars we wish we had kept or bought but didnt. didnt realize they lasted until 89. the diplomats were very common. coppers used to swear by them. the other models i didnt see very many of them .always wanted one of those sporty mirada coupes with the sl6 and a stickshift but couldnt find one. regret not buying an 80 or 81 chrysler lebaron wagon i saw for sale once with the sl6 and the 4 spd. od. , an odd combination for a chrysler wagon. bob f