Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:55 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Hey guys, I read the post about installing a truck slant 6 into a 63 Valiant, and it un-covered a few differences and topics that need attention. I am going to put a truck slant six(2 barrel) electronic ignition into a 71 Dart, where it has a 1 barrel and point ignition. I was wondering how to upgrade the ignition to use the electronic, also wondering about the adapter ring and flexplate differences, and the oil pan front vs rear sump differences. Does anyone have this ring for sale? Where do I get one. THe Dart has an auto transmission and the truck has a 4 speed. I will be turning the wrenches for a buddy, so they're not my vehicles. THe 4 speed from the truck is for sale, so are the cab parts, the bed will be made into a trailer, maybe trade material for the parts I need? I live in central Ca. Anything else I need to watch out for?
Thanks in advance.
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:18 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The trans adaptor ring is only needed when installing a '68-up engine in front of a '67 or earlier automatic transmission. If swapping a '68-up engine in front of a '68-up auto trans, no adaptor is needed. Use the oil pan and oil pickup pipe/screen assembly from the '71. There are lots of ways of installing electronic ignition that use a Chrysler electronic distributor. See HEI upgrade for example.

You're not doing this swap just to get the 2bbl and electronic ignition, are you?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:34 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Thanks Dan,
No, my buddy wants to swap due to engine in Dart needing rebuild and trucks clutch is bad. I will look-up info about HEI,,, what about the crank bolt hole pattern Dart vs Truck, are they the same? Will Flexplate from Dart work?
Thanks again,,, John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:54 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
No difference in the engines so everything will bolt up. Oil pan, oil pickup will need to be swapped. Carb and kickdown linkages may be different???
Go for it,
Frank

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:12 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Thanks a lot,, hoping to finish this project over the next couple weeks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:02 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
pm sent on the cab parts,,,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:30 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
The head is different in the 82 (no drool tubes! yay!) The oil pan from the truck is rear sump instead of center. The 82 is hydraulic lifters and non adjustable rockers. The distributer is electronic but also does NOT use the vacuum advance & centrifuge weights and springs its done electronically too with a second pick-up.

OH! The old valve cover has a different bolt pattern than the newer head so hope you still have the newer cover!

Hope that helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:07 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
The head is different in the 82 (no drool tubes! yay!)

That's not a "yay", it's a "boo". The non-tube heads are heavier, and spark plug selection is much more limited.
Quote:
The distributer is electronic but also does NOT use the vacuum advance & centrifuge weights and springs its done electronically too with a second pick-up.
Definitely not a desirable setup — you want to swap to a single-pickup electronic distributor, or even a points type distributor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:20 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I definately agree on the distributor... When I did it I just used the old distributor with the single pick-up and vacuum advance.

There are pros and cons using the newer head over the old... I hate the drool tubes but yet I also dont like the plug selection of the newer... the little extra weight in my opinion is negligable... I'm not racing my daily driver 76 4dr dart.

The only reason I went with the truck engine was that it was very well taken care of and low miles and $50... and of course necessity after spinning a bearing in the original /6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:55 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Thanks Dan, Kernel..
As long as the oil pans and the flex plate will interchange, I am sure my buddy will be happy. Hoping to use the electronic dist from the 82 with a home grown HEI solution I found on in another forum here,, looks pretty simple. All the extra vaccum lines will be filed to the extra parts bin. I am sure he would be happy with the points distributor, but then he'll keep coming back to yours trully,, hmmm, he might be coming back if the hei setup doesnt work too,, great, now I have to make a decision to keep the old points,, :roll: that cant be right,, :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:16 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Hoping to use the electronic dist from the 82 with a home grown HEI solution
Only use it if it has a single pickup (just two wires coming from the distributor housing) and a vacuum advance. If it has a dual pickup (four wires) and no vacuum advance, don't use it. New single-pickup electronic distributors are easy to get.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:58 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Thanks Dan,
I believe this one has a single pickup and two wire plug with a vacuum advance.
Simple is good, 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:13 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Oh yes the flex plate bolt pattern on the 82 is exactly the same as on the earlier...in my case the old 76. And the oil pan bolt pattern and gaskets are identical as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:39 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Cool, I have the engine out of the truck, still need to get the one out of the dart and swap pans and pickup.. time to get dirty :lol:
Thanks again Kernel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:44 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Ok, I was wrong, the 82 truck dist has (2) 2wire plugs and no vacuum port,, popped the cap and sure enough it is a dual pickup,, anyone got a single pickup dist?? :(