Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: How to reassemble head?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:19 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Ok these might be stupid questions but I'm going to ask anyway. I have a motor with the head off and disassembled. I don't believe theres anything wrong with the head and the car came with 3 head gaskets, so why not just try and put it back together? Well I have my Service Manual but I was wondering if there was a write up here or if someone could just give me advice on it? I've only adjusted the valve lash, but never done anything else with the head. Do I need a special tool to compress the springs? Anything I should make sure of or watch out for? I'm basically just doing this to educate myself because I don't think the motor is a good one anyway, but I'd still like to be able to do it right just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:47 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
Sounds like it's completely disassembled.........rockers and shaft, valves, springs and keepers. The whole schmeer.
I might suggest you take it to a shop and have it tanked and crack-checked. Usually quite reasonable and good insurance. I've taken a couple salvage yard heads to a local shop only to learn they had a couple badly cracked exhaust valve seats. Replacable, but it would have been disappointing to put it together just to have to take it back down a few hundred miles later.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:57 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Well the deal is that I have a guy at my work who is willing to give me a slant for free. I don't want to spend any money on this, just reassemble and see what comes out of it. I mean if I didn't have the extra head gaskets I wouldn't even be trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:28 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
Is the valve train in order or just in a box? If the answer is "just in a Box" then it wont be easy. You will need at least a spring compressor and a valve lapping tool with some lapping compound.
Frank

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:33 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
You can rent a valve spring compressor, or just spring (get it?") for a new one, they are about 20 bucks.

Second tool you will need is a torque wrench to torque the head to the block. Where you don't turn wrenches for a living, an inexpensive one will do just fine. I found that Wal-Mart sells them over in the trailer / RV accessory isle next to the four way wrenches to torque lug nuts. Their 1/2" click type unit runs about 25 bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:02 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
aye spring compressor, and torque wrench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:37 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Ah yes, its "just in a box" and you called it. I'd like to be able to familiarize myself more but I just don't have the funds to waste right now. I'll probably end up doing it in the future when I have the money to just mess around with it. Thanks for all the replies guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:36 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
You can rent a valve spring compressor, or just spring (get it?") for a new one, they are about 20 bucks.

Second tool you will need is a torque wrench to torque the head to the block. Where you don't turn wrenches for a living, an inexpensive one will do just fine. I found that Wal-Mart sells them over in the trailer / RV accessory isle next to the four way wrenches to torque lug nuts. Their 1/2" click type unit runs about 25 bucks.
Harbor Freight has their click-style torque wrenches perpetually on sale. Includes a storage case. I have a set and checked them for accuracy...dead on! Just remember to release the spring tension when you finish working with them!

Ken
:-)