Slant Six Forum
https://slantsix.org/forum/

starter engages in reverse
https://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41054
Page 1 of 1

Author:  vic vickery [ Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:19 pm ]
Post subject:  starter engages in reverse

several months back my 74 dart started to have this problem. when you would put it in reverse the starter would engage. someone suggested the neutral safety switch was the problem as I already knew it might be bad because I had to ground the relay to get it to start. I replaced the neutral safety switch and the problem went away except it still wouldn't start in neutral, however today the problem is back. I think someone on this board has previously said something to the effect that the shift linkage may be causing the problem. If so could someone tell me what I need to do. thanks

Author:  slantzilla [ Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sounds like you may have a wiring issue as well as a linkage adjustment problem.

For it to engage the starter relay the relay has to be getting a ground from the neutral switch, and a + from elsewhere. Check the harnesses from the trans to the firewall and make sure the reverse light wiring isn't melted into the starter harness.

Author:  vic vickery [ Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:08 am ]
Post subject: 

slantzilla was correct. I disconnected the neutral safety switch last night, grounded the relay to start the engine and the problem went away. The engine will start in any gear now and the reverse lights wont work but for now I'm going to leave it that way. think I'll run new wiring when I have some time. Of course the problem may be in the socket. is there anywhere you could buy this harness

Author:  Chuck [ Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

I suggest you unwrap the wiring in the area of the starter relay and look for a short. Should be easy to spot & fix without replacing the harness.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC-07:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/