Slant Six Forum
https://slantsix.org/forum/

Body tag decoding
https://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41213
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Chuck [ Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Body tag decoding

Do we have any data on decoding the body tag on the inner fender (not the VIN)?

Author:  DusterIdiot [ Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:23 pm ]
Post subject:  What year?

I have a couple of books on the rudiments of that style of decoding.
The late tags are better for finding out what the car should have if the build sheet is gone (assuming the factory didn't screw up the car or the plate while working graveyard...)

-D.Idiot

Author:  Sam Powell [ Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:32 am ]
Post subject: 

I am pretty sure my FSM for the '69 has a page devoted to interpreting the fender tag.
Sam

Author:  Chuck [ Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:07 am ]
Post subject: 

I want to decode a 65 Valiant, so do I need the 65 FSM? I have a 64.

Author:  wjajr [ Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Chuck,

Have you tried this site, scroll to bottom of page for 1962 to 1968?

Year One’s 1962 -1965 fender tag decoder.
Bill

Author:  Chuck [ Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks for those links. Unfortunately there is no data on what the numbers actually mean at the Decoder site. On the other site, I can't relate those numbers to the ones on my plate or broadcast sheet.

Author:  bcschief [ Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Post a good picture of the tag and I will see what galen goviers 62-65 code book says

Brian

Author:  Chuck [ Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

Here is a mock-up (1965 Valiant Wagon):
Code:
      1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
      2   9

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
2 0   5 1           7           1         3

S O    N U M B E R    B D Y    T R M   P A I N T 
1 0 5    0 0 1 7 3    V 7 6    H 4 B   W W 1   D

Author:  bcschief [ Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:42 am ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
Here is a mock-up (1965 Valiant Wagon):
Code:
      1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
      2   9

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
2 0   5 1           7           1         3

S O    N U M B E R    B D Y    T R M   P A I N T 
1 0 5    0 0 1 7 3    V 7 6    H 4 B   W W 1   D

So = Production date 5 Jan 1965
Number = 00173 Shipping Order Number
BDY =V76 The 1st 2 digits I think mean Valiant 200 The third digit means its a wagon
TRM = H4B High trim level bench seat vinyl seats Blue color
PAINT = WW1D White Monotone Paint with upper door frame or molding paint
AB = 20 225 1bbl 145 hp RG engine
D = 5 Torqueflite transmission
E = 1 A/C w/heat
K = 7 Maybe power tailgate window
Q = 1 AM music master radio economy
V = 3 Backup lamps
1 =2 Mirrors maybe mirror remote left chrome but also could be mirror prismatic inside
3 =9 3 spd variable windshield wipers and washers

See how this checks out with your car


Brian

Author:  Chuck [ Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks Brian! You nailed it. It does have the power tailgate window as you indicated. It also has 2 outside mirrors and the driver's side was a remote type. It also has power steering but I was told that is is not original (although it is factory-correct).

I figured the paint was originally white, but the car has been white, red & 2 different blues.

The only thing I can't find are the backup lights. Someone has hacked up the taillight assemblies, at least partially due to being hit in the rear.

Where did you get that code book? Great for figuring out what the car was originally equipped with. I also have the "build" sheet but some of it is hard to read. Sounds like this was a highly optioned car.

Author:  Old6rodder [ Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

Howdy,

Sorry to barge in but would you be kind enough to complete the info on my '62 as well? I'm still missing some of the particulars.

Thank you.

Image

Author:  65 dartman [ Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

On the 62to65mopar web site: there is a page devoted to 65 codes

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ ... ertag.html

Hope this helps all 65 owners

Author:  Chuck [ Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Very cool! I will make a link on our"links" page.

Author:  bcschief [ Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

Here is a link where you can buy Galen Govier's books on casting numbers and option books http://galengovier.com/
On that 62 I will need to know the 4th digit of the VIN number so I know what assy plant it was made at in 65 they standardized the codes for all plants The build sheet would tell you a lot more.

Brian

Author:  Old6rodder [ Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

1725******
I believe it was built in Van Nuys, I wish I had the build sheet for it.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC-07:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/