Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:54 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
So, I was talking to my instructor after automotive one day last week about fabricating a kickdown linkage so I can finally get my old Carter 318 BBD on the slant. We got talking about carbs and he told me he had two Holley (can't remember the number, I check tommorrow) progressive carbs for the little Ford 4-bangers. I got to looking at them and they were excellent cores, one even had the electric choke on it! $25 bucks for which ever one I choose. I got to looking though and we both noticed at the same time that they were something else entirely like Autolite or Motorcraft or something like that. He said it was pretty much an exact copy of the Holley... 5048 rings a bell. Again, I got to check on the number. He showed me a picture of it's Holley counterpart and they looked EXACTLY alike. He gave me a cardboard gasket to bring home and check on the Super Six manifold and... It didn't match. But it was close, horribly close. Enough to make me consider some drilling and grinding, which I ended up deciding against. Wageli says he has a couple ways he might could modify the manifold, but I should first check to see if there is an adapter plate out there. So here I am... Does anyone know of an adapter plate out there to do it? Where tdo I buy one? If it comes down to it, I jumped on AutoCAD and designed my own adapter plate in drafting today. It's only 1-1/2" tall and I can get a machinist to make it if I find a block of aluminum.

Thanks in advance,
/6 Matt

Last edited by /6 Matt on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:02 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Again, this is a PROGRESSIVE style carb, not synchronous. Hence the reason I'm considering it over the Carter which has the same overall flow rate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:11 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43250

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:40 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
If you have a 1 bbl intake manifold or a factory 2 bbl manifold you will need an adapter to install this carburetor. I was able to install this carburetor easily as I have a Clifford Research manifold that uses interchangeable carburetor mounting plates for either 2 or 4 bbl carburetors. All the adapting I had to do was order the 2 bbl top plate.
That came from the article Josh Skinner wrote which is linked to that thread you just linked me to. Since I own a SUPERSIX manifold and not a CLIFFORD manifold, this does nothing more than tell me everything I already know.

I do apologize for not asking the correct question to begin with. Does anybody know where I can get an adapter plate?

Thanks anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:44 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Hi /6 Matt.

You should definitely take a look at this and this thread before you do anything else.

If it is the Weber/Holley 2300 you mean, take a look at clasicinlines.com, carb adapters.

Please post pics as you progress! Good luck.

Olaf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:38 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
If you give the dimensions of the base gasket for the carb you are trying to use it would help us to help you. If the pattern is close as you say, but a little longer on the long dimension it may be the same as a Weber DGV type in which case you can use the Weber adapter meant for 2bbl Carter equipped Jeeps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:05 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Have fun w that POS, you'll be dicking with it up untill you get a different carb...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:27 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
My understanding of this carb is that it is too small. The four banger Ford engine is way smaller than a slant six. And I do not think it can be re-jetted well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:45 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The Progressive Holley 5200 was also offered under autolite and in Chevy products under the 5210 moniker...it will be similar to the Weber DG carbs

-D.Idiot