Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:35 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hi i am new to the site i have a 92 dodge truck that i swapped the 5.2 magum out for a 82 slant six 4 speed overdrive with 66 thousand on the clock it was a lean burn but i need to timing help iv put on num 1 starts and runs good but no power if third or fourth both rocker arms are loose so i know im ok there but its still way too advanced and wont run right i took the plate off the bottom of the old lean burn dis but there is not slot for ajustment on that i bought the dis new from adavnced its just single pick up with vaccum advance please help would love to start drivin my dodge again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:50 am 
Guru

Car Model:
Do you have a timing light?
Can you find the engine's timing marks and confirm true TDC?
Distributor needs to be set-up so you have initial timing in the 10 to 14 degree BTDC range and total advance in the 28 to 32 range. (no vacuum advance)
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:18 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
ya i have a timing light i can feel the psiton or i think at tdc and both of the rocker arms on #1 are loose ill try it again puttin it it seems to backfire when it gets warmed up too when i driving it but when cold runs good but still no power in third or fourth pulls stong in fist and second tho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:41 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
sry how exactually would u set that up im used to v8s and never had a probelm before this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:00 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Hi mopar7892, and welcome to the forum. You have plenty of space to use, and it is free, so in order to make your posts more readable for the rest of us, please use punctuation marks to end - and capital letters to start - a sentence, as in an ordinary letter.
Nice to have you on board!

Olaf.

Post subject: engine swap
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:19 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Just what year engine did you install since you have the lean burn dist,what carb and cumpter are you running-you got no timing advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:48 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I have lean burn on my truck. My dizzy has two pick ups and no vaccum advance. So I think your problem might be right there. I can time mine like a regular engine just by turning the dizzy to advance or retard the timing. Mines an 82. Year might help as stated above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:23 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
OK- if I understand your posts correctly, it appears that you have put a 1982 slant six and four speed transmission into a 92 Dodge truck. The 1992 truck was originally equipped with a 5.2 magnum motor. This means it was fuel injected. Why you would have done this swap is beyond me, since you really have taken a big step backwards with regards to motor efficiency and power. But you did, so now to try and solve the problem.

None of the computer controlled systems from the Magnum motor will work on the slant six.

You have a 1982 slant six motor that has lean burn on it. Removing the lean burn system is simple. You must remove the lean burn distributor and carburetor and replace them with a standard carburetor and electronic ignition distributor. You then must install a non-computer controlled electronic ignition system. The easiest way to do this is to install an HEI system. Detailed instructions for installing HEI are posted elsewhere on this site.

If you are still running the stock electric fuel pump for the Magnum motor, you ay need to rig up some kind of fuel pressure regulator and fuel return line to get the electric fuel pump to work with a carburetor.

In the future, PLEASE use punctuation and proper grammar. Your posts are very difficult to understand.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:16 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Hi i am new to the site i have a 92 dodge truck that i swapped the 5.2 magum out for a 82 slant six
Wow…quite a backwards step. I guess your area hasn't got emission tests…yet. If and when emission testing comes to your area, your truck will flunk very, very badly.

Post subject: Lean Burn Help
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:46 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I replace the engine and trans because when i got the truck the engine was blown and the tranny was bad also. I got the six with the 4-speed for free. The truck it came out of was an 82 Dodge. I rewired the truck so I could swap the engine in without the lean burn, same set up as in a 78 Dodge truck would have. And no not a step back at all, the six will get better milage. The problem i have is the timing seems to be too advanced. I purchased the dist. from advanced auto for an 82 with out the lean burn. Marked #1 on the dis itself lined it up and put it in. Actually first and second have good power third not so much and nothing in fourth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:50 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Also I am running the carter 2BBL carb. With the engine ideling at about 800 rpm the timing is about 20 degrese avdanced, and there is no play in the timing chain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:02 am 
Supercharged

Base timing should be set no higher that 14 degrees BTDC. 12 is probably better. 20 BTDC is WAY too much advance for curb idle timing. Mae sure the vacuum advance pod is plugged into the distributor vacuum advance port on the carburetor, not the intake manifold tap on the #6 runner.

Dan is right- the truck will never pass an emissions equipment inspection with the slant six and probably won't pass a sniffer test. Further, the slant six might not get better gas mileage.

The simple answer to your problem would be to get a 1982 factory service manual and learn how to set the timing correctly. You will need to loosed the distributor hold down bolt and turn the distributor clockwise until the timing reads about 12 BTDC. Be sure to do this with the engine idling and the vacuum advance line disconnected and plugged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:18 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Does this engine have ajustable rocker arms? A 82 should be hydro lifter and the rockers should not really be loose. Does it have lifters clicking that you can here? If it does and its a hydro setup the rocker arms are bad about getting stopped up and the lifters want pump up right. If so remove and clean them and the push rods out. If its machanical then set them with a feeler guage because they are funny about being run a little to tight.

You do need to get your timing down closer to 8 to 14 degree like the others have said. Maybe you dont have enough room to turn it down that far. Some of the disstributors have a bolt on the bottom of them to help give you more ajustment. You have to feel on the bottom of the dizzy to find it you cant see it with the engine and dizzy in.

Did you get the electronic ignition module that goes with a none lean burn system? You need it if you didnt.

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:42 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
What I'm thinking is it's the distributor. The fact that you got one for an engine that doesn't have lean burn for an engine that does could be the problem. The computer advances the timing, yet you have a vaccum pod on the dizzy. They could be fighting eachother?! Also Are you adjusting the curb idle screw when adjusting timing? And as for mileage, with my leanburn and no OD I get 12.4 mpg in my truck. But take into consideration that my carb is about done for. Was getting 18 city back in january. But it is hard to pass emissions. I just had to do a sniff test, took 7 tries to pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:46 pm 
Supercharged

Quote:
What I'm thinking is it's the distributor. The fact that you got one for an engine that doesn't have lean burn for an engine that does could be the problem. The computer advances the timing, yet you have a vaccum pod on the dizzy. They could be fighting eachother?! Also Are you adjusting the curb idle screw when adjusting timing? And as for mileage, with my leanburn and no OD I get 12.4 mpg in my truck. But take into consideration that my carb is about done for. Was getting 18 city back in january. But it is hard to pass emissions. I just had to do a sniff test, took 7 tries to pass.
If he is running a lean burn computer with a lean burn distributor then he may or may not have problems. Not all lean burn systems controlled the timing.

Ross- have you verified that the vacuum modulator on your lean burn computer (a) holds a vacuum and (b) is plugged into a constant vacuum source?