Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: oil pressure light
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:47 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
im kinda stumped my slant in my valiant runs great i just over hauled the engine and literally Frankensteined it together and reused as many good parts as i could and ones i had laying around the were in great condition while i had the engine apart i cleaned the oil pump but forgot to clean the oil pressure relief valve :oops: now when the engine warms up after 25 mins the oil light starts to flicker i rev it and the light goes out for a minute or so then it comes back on and the longer i let it idle the brighter it gets to the point where it only dims slightly when i rev it, which has led me to assume its the relief valve sticking when the engine is warm the oil pump is fairly new and has about 5-6 thousand miles on it and everything was in spec so i reused it even the drive gear is in good shape :D please help on this i also have a mech. op gauge im putting on when i get the fitting since it has the 5/8 sending unit :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Find out what the oil pressure is really running at with your mechanical gauge.

I've had brand new oil pressure switches that didn't work right out of the box, and of course, the older ones can fail.

I've also had pressure relief springs that weren't QC'd properly, and would allow the shuttle to dump pressure too low. They are easy enough to shim up to deliver better Oil pressure. Getting it out can be a pain in the tuckus on an A-body.

Once you find out what your oil pressure is, you'll be able to replace/fix the faulty part.

I don't like the gauges that have a tube leading into the car. They can be melted, pulled loose, or cut by debris. VDO makes a relatively inexpensive electric sender and guage that is pretty accurate. Install one of those if your planning to have a permanent installation, which I highly recommend over the "it's probably too late.." light. Generally they trip around 5#. If your off idle when the light comes on, you likely have damage.

The general rule of thumb for oil pressure required by an engine is 10# per 1000 rpm. It's OK if it's higher, but try to avoid going over 50# cold with a street driven slant six.
For racing applications, higher pressure can be necessary, but bearing life will be noticeably shorter. Bearing prep for an engine running greater than 50# cold needs to be undetaken to avoid restricting oil flow through the bearing and overheat. This can cause boundary conditions.

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:17 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
if i shut the car off and start it backup the light goes out for a few min then comesback on i forgot to mention

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:10 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
As stated, you need to know what actual oil pressure is. If it IS low then you need to do some more check out. Stuck press relief valve is possible. So is oil pump sucking air from a bad gasket or pickup, pickup screen restricted or too close to the bottom of the pan, or just too much clearance in the bearings. Just what did you replace during the overhaul- if you did bearings then what were your clearances? What weight oil are you running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
i replaced the bearings the crank was in spec and im using 5w30 and i checked the oil pump gasket to make sure it was good and not going to suck air the top end of the motor gets a good amount of oil when its warmed up so thats why im stuck but im going to check what you all said to and go from there