Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:09 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Greetings all,

This is my first post here. I'd like to build a genset with my old engine. I have a 1980 Plymouth Volare with about 98K miles on it. I inherited the car from my grandfather in 1989. I have fond memories of going to the pool as a kid in it. The car itself has not been driven for about 4 years, and at this point time and the weather have taken a toll. It would not be economical to make it properly drivable.

The engine is in good shape. At about 80K miles the oil pressure dropped and I discovered worn camshaft bearings. I think my grandfather was getting a little senile and had failed to change the oil regularly. I had the local racing machine shop re-bore/hone/face/etc. everything and it ran well for another 18K miles.

I'd like to pull the engine out and connect it to a generator. I have found a good price on a new surplus Marathon 30 KW 1800 RPM direct drive generator. I'd need to get a flywheel for the starter ring gear and weld / machine some kind of bell housing adapter thingy (which I could probably do in my garage since I am fairly well-equipped). I believe governors are also readily available.

What do you think? Do you think this is a reasonable project? I've searched this board for everything on the topic. I've been looking for torque / HP curves and the best I could find was a simulation, but it looks like at 1800 RPM I might ideally be closer to a 40 KW generator, which I really don't need and really don't want to feed with fuel. I could wait and find a belt-drive generator and step the speed down. Does anyone have any technical data on fuel consumption vs. output power?

I'd like to have the engine live on in some fashion. I'm looking forward to any and all comments.

Many thanks,

Jonathan in Eastern Virginia
1980 Plymouth Volare

Post subject: Ebay and craigslist...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:26 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Could be done...but you might be able to cruise craigslist and find a older /6 genset or pump station that has the bell and flywheel you would need for the quick hook up. Seen a few offered over the years.

Sounds like a fun project.

-D.Idiot