Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Pushrod size?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:46 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I am going to order some new push rods from Smith Brothers, but I have a question. Actually 2. #1- Is there any reason not to step up to 3/8" push rods for my race car? #2- With the peanut plug head there is not a huge amount of room around the push rods. Is there any reason that the hole for the push rods can not be opened up a bit? In other words drill them out a size or 2 larger.

Thanks, Rick Covalt

Post subject: Yes...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:53 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I run 3/8" moly pushrods from Smith Brothers, they do not have as much deflection with heavier springs like the 5/16" rods I have used.

Item #2 was on my next "to do" list because I notice that the rear 3 or 4 holes do not drain as fast if you have 'lots' of oil to the rocker assembly (i.e. grooved cam journal), also with hard acceleration all the puddling oil moves to the back of the valve cover and can cause a leak if the valve cover and gasket get over whelmed. Being a sheet metal worker by trade a fellow journeyman and I modifed that corner of a valve cover to provide more 'positive' sealing and deflection, but I think opening the holes up another 1/8"-3/16" would be nice (I'd be curious to see how much meat is around the holes before hitting the jackets.

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:32 pm 

[quote] (I'd be curious to see how much meat is around the holes before hitting the jackets.[quote]

I just looked at the "meat" around the hole on my head and it is not as thick as I would have thought. I will likely just order the 3/8" push rods and I will massage the top of the push rod hole with my die grinder.

Do you know if the push rod gets closer to the driver side of the hole as the valve opens? Or is it the passenger side?

Thansk, DI

Post subject: Lol...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:56 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Do you know if the push rod gets closer to the driver side of the hole as the valve opens? Or is it the passenger side?

You know I don't remember, after a rebuild I sweep the engine with the wrench on the crank and look for clearance issues, I had none so I didn't even blink an eye last time, buttoned it up and installed it... next one I'll take a bit more time and watch. (Sounds kind of like Zen and the Art of Slant Sixing..."Observe as the valve opens as a lily in the field, does the stem not contact the soil as it pushes for anew? Then if the pushrod shows no scuffing should you toil on making butter with a pencil...")

:lol:

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:50 pm 

Push rod moves closer to the Passenger side as the lift goes up.

Rick

Here is a picture at @ .520 lift