Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Emission Hoses?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:12 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I'm trying to replace all the old rubber hoses under my hood while while my carb is out. I brought the big hoses that connect to the air cleaner to the crankcase filter and also one to the aspirator. The guy at NAPA said they are "special hoses made from the inside out" and that anything they have would eat it away. He kept asking if it was for exhaust but referred to them as emission hoses. Is this guy right or are these hoses actually easy to find?

The same with all the hoses from my emissions charcoal canister, are those the same type of hose for carburetor fuel lines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:16 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I don't know what that guy is talking about. Just get fuel line hose. It doesn't need to be rated for fuel injection PSIs, but it does need to be fuel resistant since they hoses will be carrying fuel vapor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:22 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks. Some times it's like the guys at NAPA just try to brush me out the door. Is it the same for the big hoses for the aspirator to air cleaner and crankcase filter to air cleaner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:22 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Fuel line hose for PCV connection is needed, not expensive fuel injection hose. As Reed said; “fuel line grade hose for fuel vapor managementâ€￾.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:37 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1977 B100 Van
Quoting Dan:
Quote:
The PCV hose needs to be oilproof; regular plain rubber hose will swell and degrade quickly. Fuel line hose is fine, too, but no need to get the expensive fuel injection stuff. The correct diameter is 11/32", but that's often hard to find so 3/8" with appropriate hose clamps is an acceptable substitute.

The breather hose (from crankcase breather to air cleaner) needs to be actual breather hose -- oil resistant. Not heater hose.

Everything else: plain vacuum hose.
I wasn't able to find a correct breather hose replacement though.
Neither NAPA nor the others local shops carried the diameter I needed. Still searching :/

Post subject: It's
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:34 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I wasn't able to find a correct breather hose replacement though.
5/8" heater hose is the only thing available for it and it works fine as long as your engine is not an oil bypassing high mileage beast on it's last shreds of compression.

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:27 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks guys, I've got just about every hose replaced. Some of that rubber was in bad shape and must have been 35 years old.

What about the hose 'clusters' that connect to the CCEGR valve and vacuum amplifier that are color coded? Can those be replaced easily? I can put some pictures of those up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:50 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Quote:
Thanks guys, I've got just about every hose replaced. Some of that rubber was in bad shape and must have been 35 years old.

What about the hose 'clusters' that connect to the CCEGR valve and vacuum amplifier that are color coded? Can those be replaced easily? I can put some pictures of those up.
The hoses in the EGR vacuum amplification and activation vacuum circuit are not available new in the stock configuration with color coding and those snazzy fittings that hold all the hoses together. However, you can buy vacuum hose of the correct diameter and carefully replace all the hose using a vacuum diagram to make sure all the connections are correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:59 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1977 B100 Van
Quote:
Not that I know of. That's the factory vaccum line setup for sure, unfortunately those connectors can't be removed from the old hoses.
I just plugged the new ones directly in the CCEGR valve and vaccum amplifier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:16 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
The hoses in the EGR vacuum amplification and activation vacuum circuit are not available new in the stock configuration with color coding and those snazzy fittings that hold all the hoses together. However, you can buy vacuum hose of the correct diameter and carefully replace all the hose using a vacuum diagram to make sure all the connections are correct.
Oh, so the hoses will be snug with out those snazzy fittings?

EDIT: in case anyone searches this later, the hoses fit fine and are very snug fit on the fittings.