Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:27 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Is there anything out there like the corvair vac/boost can that might be easy to retrofit to a standard dizzy, I've been doing a little research and have found someone that makes one for the turbo corvair, but I'm not spending $125 to hack it up and try it...

I'd like to not have to replace the ignition and buy a boost timing module just to retard the timing a couple of degrees, but if that's my only option...just having a hard time accepting that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:11 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I use a normal vacuum can and distributor. I set total advance with the vac line off and the lite springs. Full advance is in by 1000 rpm. Then I hook up the vac advance and it is what it is. It is either all in or all out. Crude but it works. Drivability is fine around town. I ran this off of points and an msd box and eventually switched to an electronic ignition distributor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd6hFGzLJMc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:24 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I'm using the stock setup too, albeit modified to lock out the advance to about 6° mech and initial is about 5° to keep it from pinging on the top end, but if this works I can bump the initial a little more and keep the top end happy too

ok so I've found a couple of part numbers...

vc1309 / CV1867 - VW / audi unit

Preliminary investigation is interesting, but today at lunch I had a productive junk yard run.
I pulled a stock mopar unit in the first 5 min, and after exhausting almost all of the rows, a set of volvo headlights caught my eye. The volvo gave up the goods in short order and upon arriving at the checkout counter, the gentleman said "what are those?" I replied, "vacuum canisters"...So he says "have a nice day"....

It probably helps that I go there all of the time "looking" but don't seem to find anything very often

So now I have a stock mopar one to hack up and a working vac-advance / boost-retard unit....for FREE!!!! ( well, it cost me $2 to get in ) I even pulled the vac line with check valve too.

So far the investment is about 4 hrs of time and $2 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:56 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
I use a normal vacuum can and distributor. I set total advance with the vac line off and the lite springs. Full advance is in by 1000 rpm. Then I hook up the vac advance and it is what it is. It is either all in or all out. Crude but it works. Drivability is fine around town. I ran this off of points and an msd box and eventually switched to an electronic ignition distributor.
So then one could run stock w a check valve so the can doesn't see boost? I had wondered if that would work since its been said to stay away from over 18* when running lots of boost. So if mechanical is in by 1k and set for no more than 18, w the can seeing no boost then one "should" be safe to how many psi? Just simple thinking, I'm sure I'm going to get schooled but better to ask then not.

225, Offenhauser, Holley 350, A833OD, 3:55, GM HEI,99 Durango starter
BOOSTED! WH1C, BIG FMIC, 10#
Operation Noble Eagle 03-05
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07
Operation Enduring Freedom 12- 13

Post subject: Wha...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:41 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
ok so I've found a couple of part numbers...

vc1309 / CV1867 - VW / audi unit
This unit will definately not plug and play onto a mopar distributor. Having dissected some junk vacc. cans I don't see making a transplant either (and I'm an experienced tin bender). Part of the problem is how the vacc./ advance pushes and retracts the pickup plate and where it holds it in place...it's very tight if the arc is outside of it's normal path you'll grind off the pickup tooth or widen the gap and have no spark.

FYI,

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:37 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Same dist. setup as shaker under this hood

Kev