Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:15 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
So... I don't know if a-bodies are the same or not, but I was looking in my '65's engine bay today, and I don't know how I'm going to fit my turbo in there. First of all, the dipstick is in the way, and second, my intake manifold looks way to low down to fit the turbo to the modified exhaust mani. Are you supposed to modify anything under the hood to fit it? :S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:52 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
see that you are posting from Canada,,hence your car is likely to be metric, :roll: remember an inch equals 25.4 mm...so an interfierence of an inch,, is likely to be less than 30 mm and how is a few mm going to stop anything? Also be sure to get a turbo that has its output calibrated to BAR as Canada is far north and the altitude has more height to it.

Post subject: More Intel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:43 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Theres quite a bit that needs to be added in here for information so that a better answer can be had. We know its a 65 but one big one is what turbo are you trying to fit. If its a wee lil TDO4 :roll: or a larger HX-35 :shock: will make a bit of difference. And theres always the option to use the J-pipe like Pishta has on his build, a search will turn that up easily. There are plenty of turbo build on here showing the many setups from a J-pipe to welding the flange to the factory manifold :twisted: . Add a little more info and we will see what we can do to help the best we can and when you do start the build make sure to document it so it can be added to the stickies. :D

225, Offenhauser, Holley 350, A833OD, 3:55, GM HEI,99 Durango starter
BOOSTED! WH1C, BIG FMIC, 10#
Operation Noble Eagle 03-05
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07
Operation Enduring Freedom 12- 13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:09 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
You can make anything fit with a plasmas cutter and a welder!!

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:50 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
It is a TDO4, planning to go on a 225. I'm going to try it, and if it doesn't work, Ill get someone to weld up an actual turbo manifold. Also, the car was brought over from the states so it's all in imperial, and we use p.s.i. up here still. Mostly Europe uses BAR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:33 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
There was a turbo slant 6 project in the works but Chrysler cancelled it and it never made production. There are no slant six specific kits for adding a turbo. Its all custom and time consuming fab/mock up work, but definately worth the results. Plan the turbocharger attaching point based on the type of exhaust manifold you are modifying/making , also keep in mind which intake manifold you are going to be using to eliminate interference. You should also be able to index the compressor side of the turbo so the discharge won't be blocked by the intake. Theres lots of variables....it just depends on what you are planning to use. I would take the time to study what others have built to get an idea of the overall design needed.
If you are taking on this challenge the dipstick tube should be the least of your worries....Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:42 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
To make it simple, I would recommend the J-Pipe as pishta done. It is easier to do than a full on header and at the same time can easily be modified for when you upgrade that TDO4. Chances are the TDO4 will spool around 1500 RPM and be choking the engine off about 3-3500 RPM. Can it be done, yes. And Id start there just to get your feet wet with it as well. No sense in spending way more than you will initially. Read through Shakers build and a few others, it will give a lot of details and things that will crop up. O, and get a WBO2 first. That alone will save numerous hours.
Pohlman

225, Offenhauser, Holley 350, A833OD, 3:55, GM HEI,99 Durango starter
BOOSTED! WH1C, BIG FMIC, 10#
Operation Noble Eagle 03-05
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07
Operation Enduring Freedom 12- 13