Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:30 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Another dumb question from a newbie to turbocharging. Why do most people use a blow through system instead of a draw through system?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:16 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Another dumb question from a newbie to turbocharging. Why do most people use a blow through system instead of a draw through system?
Nah, its a good question...
Blow through allows you to use an intercooler (you are only cooling compressed air coming out of the turbo and no fuel is in suspension yet).
It is not advised to use the an intercooler with a draw through since the fuel would fall out of suspension as it passes through the intercooler making for a not so good mix of air/fuel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Leaving the carburetor on the manifold retains the original fuel distribution which means, in most cases, better idle, throttle response and emissions when compared to a draw through system. Draw through systems also require a dynamic seal on the compressor to handle manifold vacuum. This is uncommon on most turbochargers as neither diesel nor most EFI engines subject the compressor to vacuum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:44 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
On the other hand a drawthru system doesn't require an expensive fuel system to maintain the fuel delivery to the carburetor. Nor expensive modifications to withstand boost. With the carb in front of the turbo, the mixture is homogenized for even distribution. Intercooling can be done using water and/or methanol injection and is probably not needed under 10psi of boost, contrary to the tuner crowds opinion. A carbon seal can be had for most turbos and can be installed when you do a rebuild.

The McInnes turbo book says there is no advantage to one or the other when you are under 10psi of boost. Above that, there have been successful systems built using either setup.

And this can go on and on, depending of ones viewpoint. And everybody knows that you are just wasting your time with carbs. You need to spend thousands of dollars on EFI to make it all work correctly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:58 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Thanks guys, all your answers have been very informative. I am such a newbie I never even thought of the effects of manifold vacuum on the compressor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:37 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Leaving the carburetor on the manifold retains the original fuel distribution which means, in most cases, better idle, throttle response and emissions when compared to a draw through system. Draw through systems also require a dynamic seal on the compressor to handle manifold vacuum. This is uncommon on most turbochargers as neither diesel nor most EFI engines subject the compressor to vacuum.
Josh, I understand about the Diesels, because they don't have a throttle (butterfly) to close and therefore cannot create vacuum. But I am wondering how (gasoline) EFI can get away with no vacuum, or did I mis-understand something...

Just because the fuel is entering the airstream on its way to the cylinder, by injection rather than a vacuum signal, I fail to see how volume of that air/gas mixture could be managed to create, say, an idle situation, without a (vacuum-causing) throttle.

Can you explain that to me in a way I can understand it?

I am struggling here...

Bill