Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Turbo Build
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:48 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hey everyone, just thought I'd document my turbo build on here, and if anyone has opinions of anything like that, feel free to throw them in, I won't get offended haha.

The plan as of right now is to go with a '73 225, new bearings, rings, and gaskets, super six manifold, holley 2300, and a td04. Intercooled for sure, just haven't picked one out yet. Going in front of a fresh 904 with shift kit, and a 8 3/4 2.76 with a welded diff. I would like to run as much psi as I can with a good tune. I'm guessing 12, anything higher the head gasket will probably go.

This is just for this season. Next season I'd like to have it o-ringed with a bigger head on it (enginebuilder valves and a port and polish job), and obviously more boost.

If anyone has had a simple setup like this on here, can you let me know how it has went? It's in a 2850 lb car without driver. Horsepower numbers, jetting size, psi #'s, anything like that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:52 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Welded diff? Are you planning on driving in the rain?

'72 Duster 198 stock cam, 3:23's Hookers on jack stands for 8 years in the driveway
'79 Maxivan 360 Offy Qjet Comp RV cam/rusting in the driveway.
93 D350 160HP Cummins Auto :-( Dually Clubcab needs a injector pump
2005 Golden Couch Buick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:16 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
The whole reason I'm building the car is to drive sideways.

Post subject: Too much to list
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:39 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Glad to see another build thread being started. Keep it detailed and up to date with the potential to have it added to the lengthy FAQ section.

Welded diff won't be a biggie in the rain, ran a spool for years then a locker. Just know it eats tires faster but w boost its gonna happen :twisted:

I wouldn't worry too much on jet/ horsepower etc bc each build is unique. If going holley 2300 I'd suggest a 350 so that it's still decent when not in boost. You can always upgrade later to a 500 if you want, like when you go bigger turbo. The tdo4 will prolly be small but upside is you'll build boost at about 1500 rpm and choked out by 4k. Give or take a bit since there's a few diff tdo4s.

Start simple and work up. Shaker223 ran over 20# on stock motor w only 340 valve springs, so it can be done w stock but the key is to have a good tune as you said. Start at say 5# and learn all you can like how much the jet needs to change or the pvcr need to be enlarged to achieve a desired outcome, then go for 10 and so on. Also if you work in stages you can drive more and be down less, like the super six and holley swap, once it's tuned via wbo2 then add electric fuel pump and regulator etc etc, this way you build up to it instead of a coughing up all the money at once and being down longer.

So longer story short, if its running now, just go w what you have and build up, make notes here as you make changes and we will help as best we can, there's more to see this that have volumes of knowledge over me too. I'm sure they will input here too.

Keep on wrenching and get some before pics up :wink:
Ps, mr gasket 1937 to get the holley onto a super 6 intake
Pohlman

225, Offenhauser, Holley 350, A833OD, 3:55, GM HEI,99 Durango starter
BOOSTED! WH1C, BIG FMIC, 10#
Operation Noble Eagle 03-05
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07
Operation Enduring Freedom 12- 13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:50 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/ryguy ... 2216948623 Pictures of the car are on here