Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Burn Notice...
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:36 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I caused myself about a $750.00 setback (ouch!) by forgetting to re-install a fuel line on my carb the other day... and then trying to start the car with the hose disconnected.

BOOM!!!

I had turned on the fuel pump (electric pump with the switch in the trunk, got into the car and attempted to start it, never having hooked back up the fuel supply hoe to the carburetor I had had off to gain access to a lower flat bowl bolt (I removed that bolt to drain some old gas out of the float bowl.)

To exacerbate the situation, once the flames erupted (I was in the driver's seat, starting the engine,) I didn't have the presence of mind (what "MIND"???) to turn off the pump, so it continued to feed gas (and, LOTS of it) to the fire... The flames made it impossible to see that there was gas coming out of that (disconnected) fuel line. , so it took me maybe five minutes to figure out why my fire extinguisher and garden hose wouldn't put the fire out! She sat there and burned... You can imagine the damage...

See the pix at http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho ... 1969984514

Haste makes waste...

Bill, not feeling very smart right now, in Conway, Arkansas

Last edited by billdedman on Tue May 21, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:50 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Ouch, bad luck Bill. :cry:
But then again, you never struck me as someone who let minor setbacks stop you, so I'll guess you'll be up and running in no time. As long as you didn't get hurt yourself, all these other things, well, they are only just... things!

Olaf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:56 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks, Olaf.... I appreciate the support. I have ordered a a new wiring harness to replace all the burned wires, and already have in my possession, all the other parts to repair the damage.... now it's just a case off getting out there and doing it...

But, procrastination is my middle name, so, it may take awhile... LOL!

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:39 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Bill posted about this on FABO, and I asked him to post on our site also. This could have been a major catastrophy(sp).

Originally Posted by Bill Dedman
Quote:
I had a new fire extinguisher, but was unaware that the fire was being fed (from the electric pump which I had neglected to turn off,) an ongoing supply of fresh gasoline from the fuel line I had FORGOTTEN to re-attach to the float bowl... so, with all that new gas being added to the fire (I couldn't see it for the flames and was brain dead to the fact that the pump was still running,) the biggest fire extinguisher in the world wouldn't have put that fire out.

But, the intensity of the fire and the fact that it was burning as fast as it was being pumped onto the engine, kept it from spreading I think, in retrospect. The damage was pretty localized... just extensive in its nature. It burned for at least ten minutes before this idiot realized that the pump was still on... and went to the trunk and shut it off.
This was my reply. Something to think about.
Quote:
I Know this is "hindsight", But this is a good reason for a oil pressure/fuel pump safety switch. If the switch does not see oil pressure, the fuel pump does not run. When I ran circle track, that was required, if you had an electric pump. I do not have it on my current drag cars, but since you rattled the brain cells, it will be the next thing I do, on them.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:08 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Sorry to hear about this, and I am glad only the car was hurt. Could have been much worse. Charlie has some great advice about electric fuel pumps. I will be wiring in a oil pressure/fuel pressure switch when I convert my brother's Duster and van to fuel injection. Scary stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:17 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Why do I never hear about this neat stuff until AFTER I have made a complete fool of myself???

Down the road, When I have two nickles to rub together again, rest assured I will have one of those oil-presssure activated relays on BOTH the slant six race car and this burned-up Valiant!

Thanks, Charrlie!!!

Bill