Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: AFB Issues
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:10 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
After discovering that I have a rusty gas tank, I thought I would run my Carter AFB (9625) rather than my Quadrajet until I get around to replacing the tank.

I found that the AFB wasn't running well so I took it apart last night and found that there was quite a bit of rusty sediment in the float bowls. I cleaned the sediment and sprayed out all of the passages. I then put it back on and adjusted my idle mixture screws after warming it up.

To double-check that the passages were all clear, I revved it up and looked for the fuel to start flowing from the primary venturi nozzles. I could get fuel to flow after revving it past 3000 RPM in park but I was surprised to see that most of the flow was coming from one of the nozzles (right side). Although fuel would flow from the left side nozzle (closest to the throttle lever), it would be later and less than the right side nozzle.

I was also surprised to see the accelerator pump would continuously flow from the right side nozzle when the revs got high enough. Gas would flow from both nozzles when the throttle was quickly opened. I think I probably lost the accelerator pump check valve at some point as I don't remember seeing when I rebuilt it the last 2 times. Anyway, it seems to be missing now.

Does anyone know where I could a replacement check valve for my accelerator pump circuit?

Gas flow from both the right side main nozzle and accelerator pump shooter would suggest to me that there is much more air flow going through the right side primary venturi. Is there a simple way to correct this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:23 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I had a look around this morning where I was cleaning my carb last night and found my MIA check valve. I must be starting to have senior moments. I'll put it in later today and I expect the carry-over from accelerator pump should then be fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:54 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Float setting not the same on each side. High fuel level on one side will start main system flow before the side with low fuel level.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:02 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I cleaned out my carb and noticed a few things. According to the AFB manual, the float level and drop were set pretty close to spec and I made some small adjustments. After putting it back together, there was the same flow pattern as before. After taking apart a 2nd time, I notice there small noise when I moved the carb cover around, which turned out to be gasoline in the float where fuel starts flowing first.

Obviously, that float has sunk slightly, thereby causing the float level to be a bit high. My local part supplier recommended a Hygrade PN FL98 to replace my defective float. I see that Edelbrock PN 1469 has 2 floats but costs a bit more.

The cheaper option is just replace the bad float. Is there any advantage in replacing the pair?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:47 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
These appear to be brass floats- they generally only leak because they develop stress cracks. If the carb hat is off, do the pair (only $13 on amazon for Edelbrock PN 1469!).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:02 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
That's what I was thinking too. I just need to find something else to buy for $12 to get free shipping.