Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: priming the system...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:58 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
I have my oil filter full of oil (I filled it up before I flipped the engine over on the engine stand).

Do I crank the engine without the plugs for a bit to prime it or how otherwise do people prime the system before initial startup? I turned it over for about 20 seconds but I don't see fresh oil at the rocker arms, doesn't look like the top half is oiling. I don't want to do this too much, better to check with you all first.

I want to make sure I don't ruin all my hard work during breakin...

thanks all,

Brian

Post subject: I have a stand tube...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:02 pm 
Turbo EFI

forgot to mention..

Post subject: What a great board!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:12 pm 
Turbo EFI

All I had to do to find out everything I needed to know about priming the system is search on "vaseline"....who knew?

Post subject: primed yet?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:13 am 
Turbo EFI

So, my oil pump light is going off when I crank the engine (coil wire off), and just to be sure I pulled the filter and there's definitely a ton of oil in it.

But, I'm not seeing any oil on the top half on the rockers...should I see this before attempting to start the engine for break in?

The oil pressure light goes off pretty quickly when I crank it, then I crank for 10-30 seconds more, but I'm not seeing oil on the rockers. How long does this take usually?

Thanks all.

bg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:39 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
You can pull the rocker shaft and make sure that the oiling holes are pointed at an angle down and towards the intake manifold. While it is off, take a coat hanger or thin wood dowel and insert it like a probe down the oiling shaft in the rear mount for the rocker shaft. It should go down about 7 inches and meet no resistance.

Post subject: rocker oiling...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:47 pm 
Turbo EFI

Ooooh, do I really need to pull the rocker shaft? Is this a big deal or can I simply take it off and put it back on? Do I need to readjust the valve lash if I do this?

Any other ideas or comments on it taking a long time to see oil on the top half?

If I have oil pressure at the pump, should it be like instantly showing up on the rocker arms?

thanks

Post subject: Re: rocker oiling...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:55 pm 
Supercharged

Quote:
Ooooh, do I really need to pull the rocker shaft?
Yes, if your goal is to verify that the holes are pointing in the right place.
Quote:
Is this a big deal or can I simply take it off and put it back on?
I don't think it is a big deal. Remove the rocker arm shaft bolts, slide one of the rocker arms until the oiling hole is uncovered, see which way the lube holes are pointing, make sure they are pointing the right way, bolt the rocker arm shaft back down.
Quote:
Do I need to readjust the valve lash if I do this?
I would double check the lash.
Quote:
Any other ideas or comments on it taking a long time to see oil on the top half?

If I have oil pressure at the pump, should it be like instantly showing up on the rocker arms?

thanks
If you have good pressure at the pump then the oil should be reaching the top of the motor fairly quickly. The only real obstructions between the pump and the rocker arm shaft is the head gasket and the rearmost cam bearing. If the gasket isn't lined p properly and/or the rear cam bearing is spun or not installed correctly, then oil will not flow properly to the rocker arms.

Somebody just went through this issue. Search the board. I remember there being diagrams and pictures posted.

Found it:

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic ... ger+gasket

Post subject: Thanks...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:17 pm 
Turbo EFI

I was just reading it when you're reply came in.

I was told by someone that when cranking the engine with the starter oil might not make it up to the rockers, but that seems silly to me if the oil pump is pressurized you should see oil up there...

I'm not seeing any so I'm concerned. This is a fresh rebuild by a reputable shop, so I'd surmise they got the cam hole/bearing lined up right. The rocker tube is bolted down correctly as per this sites' guidelines (small flat spot on top in front).

Hmmm, I'm worried...best to check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:31 pm 
Supercharged

Sorry about the double post. Yes, definitely check it out. Try cranking it with the rocker arm shaft removed.

Post subject: some oil....
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:59 pm 
Turbo EFI

OK, I do see some oil dripping off the bottom of the rockers when I crank it, is that what I should see? I don't see any near the ends of the valve stems/retainers at the top of the springs though. I dried those off and cranked but nothing there, but it appears there are some fresh drops off the bottom of the rockers. Should there be oil in the little channels at the top of the rockers, I don't see it there either. Maybe it's just not cranking fast enough to get it up that far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:17 pm 
Supercharged

Dripping is good. If you are still worried, I recommend verifying that the oiling holes are oriented correctly and then going with that. You won't see squirts and gushes even when it is running.

Post subject: thanks...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:55 pm 
Turbo EFI

I think dripping satisfies me. That is, I'll dry off all the drips, make sure there's no visible oil and try again in the morning. If I see new oil dripping off all the rockers, even though its only at the bottom, that's good enough for me. If I don't, then I'll pull the rocker shaft and check it out.

brian

Post subject: gushes and squirts...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:57 pm 
Turbo EFI

I hope not, I have to set the valve lash once it's broken in, I don't want to take a bath in oil. I'll set the idle as low as I can to avoid that.

Good news is my lash, due to the cam I have, has the I and E all at the same lash...that'll save some time.

Post subject: looks ok
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:54 am 
Turbo EFI

I saw enough oil dripping to satisfy me.

I went ahead with the breakin, seems fine, runs really smoothly, pretty quiet in fact. Changing the breakin oil now....hope I don't see any bits...

BG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:20 am 
Supercharged

While the motor is running you should see a steady flow of oil onto the end of the valve stems as well as onto the pushrods.