Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:51 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I thought this might help some of you out with a leaky fuel bowl, so here goes. I was experiencing constant leaking at the fuel bowl of my Holley 1920 with the stock gasket as well as home made gaskets using 1/16 material. Upon close inspection, I could see that the thin sealing ribs that are on the bowl itself and on the carb were pitted which would leave small gaps for the fuel to leak. I couldn't find a replacement bowl on the cheap so I sanded the bowl on a piece of glass to remove any warping and pits. Then I ordered some thick gasket material off ebay. The material is called Garlock 3000, I got a 1/8 in. thick 12x12 sheet for around 10 bucks. This stuff is fuel resistant and also non-stick. You can cut the exterior shape with a good pair of scissors and the inside with an xacto knife, I recommend using a new blade for this part. So once the new gasket is made, place it on the carb to make sure it wont interfere with the float or baffle and trim if necessary. Now, I haven't ground off the rib on the carb side (I suspect if I did it would seal easier) so some pits were there allowing a bit of fuel past. Here is where the 1/8 in thickness comes in handy. I installed the bowl as usual and then smacked it a bit with a rubber mallet. This "seats" the pitted portions on the rib against the gasket. Now, no leak. Anyway, I know it may not be the "right" way to stop a leaking fuel bowl but it worked for me and it might work for others. I'll try to post pictures later to make it easier to understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:05 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks for the info...

My 1920 was leaking a little bit too. What i did was put some permatex gasket maker on the bowl side of the gasket and it hasn't leaked since :D

I used the ultra copper because that's what i had at the time...It worked! Even though i believe it's not recommended for gasoline.

I'll check out the Garlock 3000 and inspect my mating surfaces more closely next time. Based on my experience, i would always recommend to use a little gasket maker on the bowl side of the gasket too

1984' Dodge D150 Utiline Bed
Slant 6 225, Holley 1920 Carb
A833 4 Speed O/D Transmission

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:33 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Thanks for chiming in. I didn't try any silicon since most people refrain from using it do to the possibility of clogging a passage, but I think in the right hands it'll work. Maybe others have found different methods that work too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:25 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I like sdahmer's approach. Sometimes it just feels good to hit something!!! :lol:

BC