Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:10 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hey guys need so help if I could do so as ask for your experience. This is my first resteration project so bare with my lack of knowledge, I have a dodge d-100 with a slant six 225 3 speed I'm looking into boring new cam maybe a four barel carb. My buddies have told me not to go with the four barrel carb because I will have overheating issues and if I bore it I was wanting to go .30 over they Said that Is a ad idea as well because I can't just but the motor back togather I have to do valve work and all kinds of stuff. I need some advie I'm really looking for something that's not going to burn up trans and rear ends but I want some peep when I want it with a nice looping cam I need some help!! And ideas? thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:12 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Im just going to tell you my experience which is not much. I have a 1979 D-100 with a 225. I originally had the 3 on the tree. After blowing up 4 of these I found a A-833 that gave me more mpg and and less wrench time. You will have to shorten your drive shaft though. As for my motor i was running stock after my rebuild except for putting in a 265 cam. and having the head shaved to bring the compression up to 8 to 1. It ran great until i got the clifford intake/ exhaust as well as the Edelbrock 1801 carb. Dont get me wrong this setup works but only if you want speed and low mpg. You will also have to upgrade your ignition system to burn that much fuel.
If you are looking for a great daily driver with power to spare, look at 2 bbl. not the 4 bbl. Or you can just shave the head and change the cam while keeping the stock 1 bbl. Either way plan on spending time tuning. The smallest changes can make a world of difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:27 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Thanks for the advie nick I hae herd good things about Clifford performamce but knowing you had that trouble I'm goin to stay away from them and u do believe that I will stick with a 2 barrel. Knowing that you blew 4 225s up should I stay away from anything that you may have done or was it user air? Hahaha!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:36 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
More or less want some off the line speed but I'm really wanting to re use the parts I have if I can with a new cam pistons and carb hoping not to have to rearrange the whole motor if I don't have to I know there is a lot of old timers on this site that have a lot of knowledge that I'm hoping to pick up from.. Thanks again in advance for all the advice guys!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:10 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
When I said "After blowing up 4 of these" I meant the three on the tree trannys. And im not saying clifford products are bad. I was just saying the 4 bbl is over kill unless you are raceing. clifford just came out with a new intake that lets you use two 2 bbl. and there original intake can accept a single 2 bbl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:50 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Thanks for all the help man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:17 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Be very careful before you decide to spend any money with Clifford. They have a long and ugly reputation for being a bunch of clowns; see for example here, here, here, here, and here. Much of what they sell is inaccurately described, and a lot of it is not even slightly cost-effective. The good news is that you don't need to go to Clifford to get hot rod parts for slant-6s; there are lots of other, better options. See for example Dutra Duals and header options discussed in this thread and this one, Erson custom cams, HEI ignition upgrade, Mike Jeffreys windage trays, Hurricane intakes, other exotic intakes. Hi-perf engine buildup here, high-perf parts and build info here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:32 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Thanks for that advice on Clifford performance I have herd that same thing. Y'all are makin this much eaiser for me thanks again to all the motor heads on the form..