Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:34 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1976 dodge aspen rt clone
Hey fellas nice to find a community of like-minded individuals. I have had slant sixes 4 times in my driving career and have decided at the ripe old age of 52 to go backwards to simpler times of automotive mechanicary. I went to the mopar drags in Md at mason dixon dragway and watched the Ruster pull 11sec in the quarter. Insanely cool since my first car at 16 couldn't go up a hill without the passenger getting out to push.

In my newfound affliction I now have a 1976 aspen rt clone and 3 slants in pieces and now a truck. I have no want, Nore need for gizmos bells whistles or computers on my vehicles. I like to work on stuff and you just can't with newer equipment. So, I found a 1985 w150 in a farmer's field. grandsons first truck and the farmer wanted it gone so, I bought it and hauled it home. (pics to come later). Imagine my frustration when I realized it has a lean burn system on it. Well grandson wanted to get rid of it as well I guess because the carb had been swapped to a non-lean burn carb, the distributer was an electronic with vac advance. So not stock. Now I knew that finding a lean burn carb and dist. would be impossible so doing some research I stumble on the Gm Hei conversion.

A great easy to install conversion to suit my needs, great. Only thing I did not do was change the coil. I just want the thing to start and run enough to get from my field to my garage so i can better work on the thing. However. I can't get the coil to fire. I did have spark before, but it was intermittent.

The wiring diagram i have doesn't have distinction as to what wire from the dist. goes where so 50/50 guess. Does it matter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:45 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1976 dodge aspen rt clone
Replying to my own post. The HEI mods that I ordered are from eBay and came in a 3 pack. I now know why. They sell you 3 in hopes that 1 will work . Swapped out the new mod for a new mod and viola, spark. And she sputters again. Not runs but sputters. I hope to have her running with a carb swap or rebuild of the new carb that is on it as the accelerator pump plunger broke when I tore her down.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:42 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Parts quality matters. See HEI upgrade.