Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:54 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1962 Lancer 770
Well, I've finally taken the dive and started to put the 225 engine in my Lancer. This is the first time I've ever done anything on this scale, so I'm learning as I go. Its fun, except its under a very tight schedule as I am preparing to move in about 10 days, and of course packing up our house and trying to sell it. BUT the progress is good.

Day 1-20000: Prepare the engine. I bought a very low mileage engine from ebay that I had originally just planned on dropping in with no changes. Then I got the bug I wanted a camshaft, then it came to head porting, and before you knew it, the engine was just about in pieces minus the removal of the crankshaft.

The good news was that the engine did seems to indeed be very low mileage. No stretch at all on the timing chain, the pistons looked good and the cylinder walls looked nice. I did have to swap over the oil pan from my 170 as the B body pan was different. Interestingly, the B body pan was teh same as teh theody pans lying around at the shop, which suggests maybe chrysler standardized them later at some point.

The only troubles I had were transmission related since we used a frokliforkliftmove the engine. I couldncouldnt the trans, so I'm probably just going to keep the one in there now instead of swap in the 225 trans I have. I'm learning all about filters and pans, their shapes and nuances. Course my pan was wrong, so I'm looking around for the right one. Its all fun when you're low on time. The torque converter also had some chewed up teeth on it, so I'm replacing it with the one from the 225.

So what's left to tackle? The head has been worked on. After having it ported, they CC'd it and determined that I should take .100 off the head to get about 8.5:1 compression. This seemed like a lot to take off compared to what others had said here, but I watched them do it on the computer so I'm going to have faith. Also installed hardened valve seats but didn't replace the valves, rocker arms, etc. All fun and interesting!

Now the trans needs care, rear main seal (I think I'll do it today), and reassembly. I need to clean the engine insides somehow, so I'll be asking about that too.

Ah, so much fun! Here are some pics. I didn't take a lot as my hands were dirty for the day:

Click Picture to see Gallery

I wish I could do more while the engine is out, but time is short. No detailing or repainting here. I'm trying to hit as many parts as I can that are out, but heck, it ain't easy. I'd love to work on the suspension now, but time is limited. That'll be for later.

Thanks for checking it out

MJ

Last edited by NewLancerMan on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:25 pm 
Turbo EFI

Another few days and a few more dollars in. Pressure washed the inside, got the head back from the machine shop, and started putting things back together. Put on the double roller chain from cox bros and made sure the damper and timing cover lined up--which they did. I have somehow managed to misplace the valve keepers so I've got to tear into the garage to try and find those tonight, but otherwise, it looks as though we can assemble the head on Monday, and put the engine back into the car Tuesday. I've mocked up the offy intake with two not-perfectly matched carbs, but it'll do for now. I had to use big carb spacers to keep the old rod-style linkage on my old carb. All in all its coming together.

Saturday I'll work on the trans and my new pan and seals. Sunday is a day of rest (ie: packing the house and showing it).

I'll take some pics tomorrow when I remember to take the camera

MJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:45 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Watcha' gonna do with the 170?

It would make a very interesting coffee table. 8)

Slant six powered lawnmower 8)

Put it in a boat 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:34 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Great stuff, keep it comin'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:45 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
A 225 in that lightweight Lancer will put a big smile on your face.

You do have a pinion snubber, don't you? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:41 am 
Turbo EFI

Quote:
You do have a pinion snubber, don't you? :wink:
Yeah I was thinking I better get some superstock springs to prevent all that axle wrap I'm going to have to contend with. I just don't think the snubber will be enough ;-)

The low miles 170 is going to Cox Bros as a drop in engine for one their cars. They have two cars sitting without motors just waiting for an implant.

BTW more pics here to see:

My Engine Swap Gallery

Image Image

Image Image

Ready to go back in tomorrow!

Today the head will get bolted on, oil pump and other stuff re-attached and we'll be ready to rock. Hopefully tomorrow the rain will stay away and I can put the engine back in. That's the plan atleast ;-)

Fingers are crossed! I will try to take pictures of my trans pan fun and other assorted things, I just either forget the camera or dare not touch it with my hands!

MJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:28 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Watcha' gonna do with the 170?

Slant six powered lawnmower 8)
:lol: ahahah that sounds very intresting :shock: :lol: wow 28mpg and you were going 75mph thats a good runnin slant 8)