| Slant Six Forum https://slantsix.org/forum/ |
|
| Big cam for new motor https://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68766 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | RumDungeon [ Wed Sep 23, 2026 9:42 am ] |
| Post subject: | Big cam for new motor |
I’ve got a new motor on the stand, wiseco pistons, molnar rods, ported head and 4bbl/headers. Looking for a cam. I currently don’t have a cam core so I can’t just send it off to Ken at OCG. I don’t trust comp cams and they don’t offer anything worthwhile for the slant anyway. Just checking with the group before I source a used cam and send it to OR. Thanks! Jared |
|
| Author: | Rick Covalt [ Wed Sep 23, 2026 10:48 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Big cam for new motor |
Ken did have some slant 6 blanks the last time I called him? Tell us more about what the car will have ( Gearing , auto or manual...etc) and what your goal is and we can recommend a cam or two for you! |
|
| Author: | RumDungeon [ Wed Sep 23, 2026 4:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Big cam for new motor |
Honestly just a driver, the built short block kinda fell into my lap. It’s 2.76 gears with 26” tall tires. 904 auto with a tf2 shift kit, I’m definitely willing to buy a converter to get away with more cam but my stall speed will probably have to stay below 2500 as that is right near cruising RPM for me. Hyper Pak intake, Edelbrock avs2 500 cfm carb,and Clifford shortys with a full 2.5” single exhaust. The head has a basic clean up porting job and oversized valves. I’m calculating right at 9.4:1 with a thick head gasket. Could always pick up some compression with a steel gasket but California gas… |
|
| Author: | Dart270 [ Thu Sep 24, 2026 4:37 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Big cam for new motor |
I would get the Oregon 346 grind and degree it at 100. Or I can give you the specs of the slightly bigger one Greg has been using with about that static CR. He loves it. Lou |
|
| Author: | Rick Covalt [ Thu Sep 24, 2026 6:44 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Big cam for new motor |
This will be a large scale dog with those gears! With a big cam and an auto you really need a higher stall convertor. Or else they are not that fun to drive. Anything much over 220 @ .050 duration with a stock convertor is pretty annoying. Ask me how I know. But you probably want a little more than a 2500 stall speed to help out. |
|
| Author: | Dart270 [ Thu Sep 24, 2026 7:02 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Big cam for new motor |
2800 stall is my recommendation and I would not go lower with that cam and comp. It will still "lock up" hydraulically quite well at 2500. New converters are much more efficient than before. Edge Racing is the place to go. Lou |
|
| Author: | RumDungeon [ Thu Sep 24, 2026 7:33 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Big cam for new motor |
Quote:
I would get the Oregon 346 grind and degree it at 100.
Thanks Lou, I’m definitely interested in the bigger grind specs. Is Greg using it in an automatic car? I’ll send Ken an email about the 346 in the meantime.Or I can give you the specs of the slightly bigger one Greg has been using with about that static CR. He loves it. Lou Jared |
|
| Author: | RumDungeon [ Thu Sep 24, 2026 7:37 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Big cam for new motor |
Quote:
This will be a large scale dog with those gears!
The car is just a weekend toy, I’ve been building slants for over 20 years and the hyper pak is the only manifold I haven’t run. It’s time. I just want to look cool when I pop the hood. Something for the “ooohhh’s” and “ahhh’s”.With a big cam and an auto you really need a higher stall convertor. Or else they are not that fun to drive. Anything much over 220 @ .050 duration with a stock convertor is pretty annoying. Ask me how I know. But you probably want a little more than a 2500 stall speed to help out. I’m thinking a 2800 stall like Lou mentioned. It won’t be a record setter but should get out of its own way. I really appreciate your input Rick! Jared |
|
| Author: | Dart270 [ Thu Sep 24, 2026 8:15 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Big cam for new motor |
I have run high-ish stalls with hwy gears like 2.76 or 2.94 and CR and cam like that and it works fine. Back in the late 90s! Can be pretty fast too. My 68 Dart ran mid/high 15s like that while commuting in LA. Not a super light car either. Have fun!! Lou |
|
| Author: | RumDungeon [ Thu Sep 24, 2026 8:37 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Big cam for new motor |
Quote:
I have run high-ish stalls with hwy gears like 2.76 or 2.94 and CR and cam like that and it works fine. Back in the late 90s! Can be pretty fast too. My 68 Dart ran mid/high 15s like that while commuting in LA. Not a super light car either.
I’m still running a 7 1/4 and keeping my eyes peeled for one with a 2.94 to swap in. That’s about as much gear as I want to run due to being hours away from all the Mopar fun, I want this thing to cruise the highway. Thanks again for your input, it’s much appreciated.Have fun!! Lou Jared |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC-07:00 |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited https://www.phpbb.com/ |
|