Slant Six Forum
https://slantsix.org/forum/

brake retainer spring
https://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68772
Page 1 of 1

Author:  BroncoLane [ Tue Sep 29, 2026 4:18 pm ]
Post subject:  brake retainer spring

Several brake hardware kits are showing and using a different type of brake shoe retainer. I received a kit with these new type spring retainers but could not figure out how to install them so I used the old pin and spring type. Here is a photo of what was included in the kit. Th espring is put through teh backer plate and the end of the spring is larger to hold in the plate..

Attachments:
File comment: brake retainer spring
spring 1.JPG
spring 1.JPG [ 224.11 KiB | Viewed 356 times ]

Author:  volaredon [ Tue Sep 29, 2026 4:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: brake retainer spring

The rest of the spring looks too fat to go through the backing plate too

Author:  BroncoLane [ Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: brake retainer spring

Correct. The larger end of the spring will not go through the backer plate, which anchors it. I think these will work but I cannot figure out how to pull the hook end of the spring spring through the brake shoe to put the anchor tab on. I thought there might be a special tool. I didn't use these but though it would be interesting to know how to install them. The seller told me these are the 'new' version of retainers but, thankfully the old style pin-and-cap retainer are still available.

Author:  volaredon [ Wed Sep 30, 2026 11:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: brake retainer spring

Id bet even the smaller diameter shank won't pass thru the hole for the pin either

Author:  BroncoLane [ Wed Sep 30, 2026 12:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: brake retainer spring

The smaller OD of the spring fits very nicely through the hole in the backer plate. The larger end will hold very nicely. The problem is not fitting; it is the stretching the spring out enough to install it / get the retainer on the end.

Author:  Charrlie_S [ Wed Sep 30, 2026 3:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: brake retainer spring

It sounds like you are not installing them properly. The small end of the spring goes thru the web of the brake shoe. The larger dia will not fit thru the hole. The retainer goes on the back of the backing plate, and the hook on the spring connects to that. I have a "homemade" tool to hook the spring to the retainer. It is a screw driver with a round shaft that will fit down inside the spring. The end is cut off to make the end flat. The a cut a small groove in the flat end, that will engage the bottom of the spring. Push the tool thru the spring and streach the spring untill it can be attached to the retainer
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uRkTgz_ADs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnGqiX3nti4 At time 7.20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_n-UYIwUJI tool at time 13.30

Author:  BroncoLane [ Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: brake retainer spring

Yup, I was trying them the wrong way around.

Thank you. I will try the screw driver tool when I do the back.
/
Again, thanks, I had not seen these before...

Author:  SlantSixDan [ Thu Oct 01, 2026 2:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: brake retainer spring

This is the old-old style, supplanted sometime along the line by the superior kind with the barrel spring, nail, and end plate. Guess some MBA somewhere did like they do and decided cheaper = better.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC-07:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/