| Slant Six Forum https://slantsix.org/forum/ |
|
| Startup after several years https://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68775 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Wesola78 [ Sat Oct 03, 2026 7:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Startup after several years |
Okay, the replacement slant six has not been started in over six years. Should I remove the spark plugs and squirt oil in there, then replace the plugs? What should I do before I crank it over for the first time in a while? Thanks! |
|
| Author: | Charrlie_S [ Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:57 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Startup after several years |
I have the same issue on a car that was given to me. I am going extreme. Going to drain the oil, and remove the spark plugs. Mist oil in the cylinders. Pour some oil on the valve train. Connect an "acusump" unit I have to the oil gauge fitting on the oil pump and pressurize the oiling system, as I turn the engine over, with the plugs still out. I am going to this extreme, as the engine has been built with a lot of "good" parts (K-1/molner rods, Wiseco pistons, etc), and I don't know how long it has sat, or how much running time it had, before being stored. In your case I would just oil the cylinders and crank the engine over with the plugs out untill I had some oil pressere. Then install the plugs and fire it up. |
|
| Author: | Wesola78 [ Sun Oct 04, 2026 12:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Startup after several years |
Okay, thanks Charrlie! |
|
| Author: | Charrlie_S [ Sun Oct 04, 2026 6:15 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Startup after several years |
One other thing, I forgot to mention. It would probably be a good idea to pull the rocker cover. You will want to make sure all the valves operate properly. Slants seem to have a problem, on occasion, if it is a used engine sitting for a long period, of the valves sticking in the guides, and bending pushrods. While the cover is off, pour some oil on the rocker shaft. The valve train is the last thing to get oil. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC-07:00 |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited https://www.phpbb.com/ |
|