Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:50 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Well, my car's old enough to where no amount of tuning the carb makes it just perfect, and last summer I worked primarily on the body. One of the things I want to do is repalce my distributor but was wondering if their are any aftermarket options for the /6, I've never seen one before but if I can go above OEM I'll be happy, if not then I'll probably spend the money on the rear-end suspension(You oughta see the overloads on my car to make it someone handle right, I almost have more metal in addons on the leafs springs then actual springs :shock: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:41 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
An MSD box in place of the factory ECM works pretty good.
Sooo... what is the problem with the engine, does it run rough, miss, low on power? (all of the above?)
Have you run a compression check?
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:28 am 
ECM, I thought that was a computer module for the car. I'm replacing the factory ignition with an MSD 6al, have it in box and ready to install during spring brake. If the ECM is what I'm thinking of I don't think I have one.

As for what the engine's doing, it's great on power. The engine has no problem with it, what it has problem on is things like idle and hitting the gas it will either stall or you get this nice little wait where your hitting the gas waiting for it to kick in. Not a big problem until you need to go somewhere quick(i.e., merging into a busy street). I've got a new carb, tuned it many times, have had a professional tune-up, and at most have had a marginal gain in throttle response. There may be things in the mechanics of the engine that need work but I really can't take the engine very far apart since it's my daily driver so I'm attacking components that should help the overall health of the system. Most of the wiring going to the starter, alt, and so on are in pretty bad shape and as I've been slowly fixing them the car's been running better. Basically I'm just going through replacing the stock components with new or upgraded pieces along with as I get the time wires that have been badly connected and have started to corrode.

May not be the core of the problem, but at least when I finally get all these things done and fix the core of the problem they'll still be around to make the fixed engine run better. Probably doesn't help that I know nothing about the mechanics but am good at wiring things :D

Oh, something odd that I"ve not been able to figure out is after my cars been on a long drive it seem to have more power, at the cost of idle, it'll get more rough. When my cars cold idles a little rough, after it's warm I can hardly feel the car running, but after a long drive(like like 15 minutes at 70mph for my drive to work) the engine seem to get a lot more powerful but idle seems rough. I'm thinking a slight case of overheating but the engine doesn't smoke and everything seems fine when I've looked at the engine. Could it be that an individual component other than the engine is overheating, like maybe the original startings getting too hot after the drive?

Sorry for the long questions, you asked and got me on a role :wink: