Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:51 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Shortly after I get my Duster, I'm planning on having the Feather Duster (2 1/4" pipe) exhaust done up with a Flowmaster 50 series muffler, and at some point in the near future I intend to install a Super Six setup. Will the Feather Duster exhaust be sufficient for a Super Six, or should it be larger?

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:09 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Will the Feather Duster exhaust be sufficient for a Super Six
Feather duster exhaust = 318 V8 exhaust = Super Six exhaust: A 2¼" headpipe, a 4¼" x 9¼" oval muffler with 2¼" inlet and 1-7/8" outlet, and a 1-7/8" tailpipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:17 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Woops forgot about the 1 7/8" tailpipe.

So I guess it'll serve me just fine then :P

Edit: d'oh, can't find any mufflers with a smaller outlet (unless it's a dual outlet) than the inlet. OH well, I figure a 2.25" outlet ain't going to hurt anything...

Post subject: Heh...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:54 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Feather duster exhaust = 318 V8 exhaust = Super Six exhaust: A 2¼" headpipe, a 4¼" x 9¼" oval muffler with 2¼" inlet and 1-7/8" outlet, and a 1-7/8" tailpipe.
:roll:

Feather Duster Exhaust is NOT V-8 exhaust (in fact the last 318 A-body I pulled the mill out of had some pretty small pipes - almost like the stock 1 barrel slant pipe)...it's pretty close to what Dan lists as the 'Super Six' pipe...except he forgot the mandatory catalytic convertor... The larger outlet will kinda make things a bit 'raspy' in the upper end (but not really any louder than the local Honda crowds' fart cans...)

You might see about a 2.5" pipe (if they are 'bending it' with a forming machine the bends will knock off/restrict the pipe 1/4" due to the dies used), and necking it down to 2" at the muffler....(that might be more common...).

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:57 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Quote:
Woops forgot about the 1 7/8" tailpipe.

So I guess it'll serve me just fine then :P

Edit: d'oh, can't find any mufflers with a smaller outlet (unless it's a dual outlet) than the inlet. OH well, I figure a 2.25" outlet ain't going to hurt anything...

I'd go with a 2.25" in and a 2" out muffler.

The muffler might do that, or just get a 2.25"/2" reducer.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:07 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
My Super 6ed Valaint has 2.25 from end to end with a turbo type muffler....no "buzz" and plenty o flow. The 2.25 in/out turbo muffler was the cheapest option.

Post subject: Re: Heh...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:09 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Feather Duster Exhaust is NOT V-8 exhaust
Yeah, it is. Same muffler (2¼" in, 1-7/8" out, with same part number), same tailpipe (with same part number)...only difference is, obviously, a Y-pipe for the V8 and a headpipe for the slant-6.
Quote:
(in fact the last 318 A-body I pulled the mill out of had some pretty small pipes
Given that the last 318 A-body was made 31 years ago, who knows what aftermarket pipework you could've been looking at? ;-)
Quote:
almost like the stock 1 barrel slant pipe
...which was changed to the 2¼" headpipe, 1-7/8" tailpipe configuration for 1976...
Quote:
forgot the mandatory catalytic convertor...
...which was not factory-installed on all 225-equipped cars in North America until 1979...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:50 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Thought I would tell you what we did on our 63 Valiant.It has the 2 1/4 head pipe, then it splits to a Y pipe after the trans.It has duel flowmasters. and duel stainless tips that are 2 1/2. It gets loud from 55 to 65, but the noise drops off before and after that.Besides, the 40 series just sound great at an idle.
Just my 2 cents-Kidd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:45 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Thought I would tell you what we did on our 63 Valiant.It has the 2 1/4 head pipe, then it splits to a Y pipe after the trans.It has duel flowmasters. and duel stainless tips that are 2 1/2. It gets loud from 55 to 65, but the noise drops off before and after that.Besides, the 40 series just sound great at an idle.
Just my 2 cents-Kidd
How are the 40 series for interior noise? I've got a single 50 series Flowmaster on my truck, which has just a slightly larger L6 in it (and 2.5" pipes with no catalytic converter), and on the highway I can hear it fairly well. I'd like to have something that flows well but stays pretty quiet on the road. I will also be Dynamat-ing and Lytherm-ing the snot outta the car, so maybe a couple 50 series would be best for what I want?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:01 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
Just remember, Dynamat is heavy. You will be adding significant weight to the car when you do that. If you don't mind that, it's good stuff for sure.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:50 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Just remember, Dynamat is heavy. You will be adding significant weight to the car when you do that. If you don't mind that, it's good stuff for sure.
You ain't lyin'. I put two bulk packs in my truck and when they came to my folks' place via UPS it was a grunt for me to carry them into the garage! I have no plans to race the car though, so the extra weight won't bother me. I do want a clean, comfortable, quiet ride though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:54 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
Also, beware of generic substitutes for Dynamat. Some of the cheaper stuff has a tar-like material instead of the stuff Dynamat uses and it will melt and run when it gets really hot. Real Dynamat won't. That's probably not as big a concern in the Northwest but it would be a real problem in the Southwest.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:23 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Also, beware of generic substitutes for Dynamat. Some of the cheaper stuff has a tar-like material instead of the stuff Dynamat uses and it will melt and run when it gets really hot. Real Dynamat won't. That's probably not as big a concern in the Northwest but it would be a real problem in the Southwest.
Another reason I'll only use Dynamat or Lytherm. Lytherm's Zero Clearance stuff is great for dealing with engine and exhaust (even catalytic converter) heat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:25 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
The Walker super dynomax hemi mufflers work pretty good and are reasonably quiet with a nice sound. They list them as a "Super Turbo", just look for the longer case. They last a long time and have a lifetime warranty. I have used 2" mufflers and had the shop swage them up to 2.25" for 2.25" pipes on v-8 cars. It is quieter than a 2.25" muffler and still flows real well. You could just open up the inlet to 2.25" and run a 2" tailpipe for the slant. This is the exhaust I plan on putting in our swinger. I may try a Hooker Aero chamber as well. I had them on my GN and for an open chambered muffler they were amazingly quiet with no drone. Louder but sounded good, not like an open exhaust dumping into a 55 gallon drum in the trunk. Best performing mufflers I ever had on that car. Nothing like the noise of a flowmaster on one of those cars.